Replacement kitchen doors

I just had a quote through from a company to replace the doors and worktops in my kitchen, around 19 standard cupboard doors and 7 draws (vinyl wrap doors) handles, kickboards and cornice, laminate worktop.

They quoted a little under £6000 and told me it would take 2 and a half to 3 days max, this was much more than I expected, does this sound totally over the top.

I am based in Surrey.

Comments

• gazman100
    gazman100 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    To me, sounds very expensive. I had a new kitchen including cooker and sink for £2900, labour to remove old one and refitting about £1600. I think about 16 units. So less than yours involving replacing all units and cooker and sink (plastering, flooring and electrics etc was more).

How much is labour and how much for fittings? Where are they from? Did they give a price breakdown?
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think that is expensive if they are off the shelf sizes and not made to measure

I am looking to replace mine with doors from B&Q, kitchen wasnt from there but the sizes seem to fit what I have. Wickes kitchen doors are different sizesto B&Q

I only have 9 doors to replace and the worktop and was quoted £300 from a joiner to do the work
  • john.h
    john.h Posts: 349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It sounds like they are charging you £5000 for 2-3 days labour :D

John...
  • cherylsurrey
    cherylsurrey Posts: 165 Forumite
    It is just for the doors, kickboards, worktop and cornice installation, no replacement units, plumbling/plastering/electrics etc. I went online and found the exact same doors they quoted me from a company online that I can buy and install myself, the whole lot was around £1000, so the quote obviously was a total rip off.

Thanks for all your replies :)
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Jut done my own kitchen for replacement doors (walnut low and gloss white high inc draws) £700 inc handles. ceramic hob & eye level double oven & 680 tiles £90 Floor £90 lighting £200 . All in for 2k
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • AlcoveMan
    AlcoveMan Posts: 5 Forumite
    the quote obviously was a total rip off.

I would agree that the quote was on the pricey side, but that doesn't neccesarily make it a 'rip-off'.

The supplier of any product or service is perfectly at liberty to quote any price he wants for it; it is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that he or she gets the best value for their money. This is how a competitive market works. In reality most tradesmen know the price that the market will bear and will quote accordingly.

An expensive quote is only a 'rip off' if some sort of misrepresentation is involved.
  • AlcoveMan wrote: »
    I would agree that the quote was on the pricey side, but that doesn't neccesarily make it a 'rip-off'.

The supplier of any product or service is perfectly at liberty to quote any price he wants for it; it is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that he or she gets the best value for their money. This is how a competitive market works. In reality most tradesmen know the price that the market will bear and will quote accordingly.

An expensive quote is only a 'rip off' if some sort of misrepresentation is involved.

Not at all, a rip off doesn't necessarily refer to a fraudulent or misleading/mis-representative activity.

I'd suggest pricing a few doors made of wood and putting them on existing units costing as much as a new car as a total rip-off. This is MSE and unless these doors are covered in gold leaf being fitted by the queen herself I'd suggest the OP find somewhere else to get a second opinion as this price sounds a total rip!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • AlcoveMan
    AlcoveMan Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2013 at 7:10AM
    Not at all, a rip off doesn't necessarily refer to a fraudulent or misleading/mis-representative activity.

I'd suggest pricing a few doors made of wood and putting them on existing units costing as much as a new car as a total rip-off. This is MSE and unless these doors are covered in gold leaf being fitted by the queen herself I'd suggest the OP find somewhere else to get a second opinion as this price sounds a total rip!

Sorry, but that is total rubbish!

Aldi was recently selling 4-packs of Heinz beans for £1.00. At my local convenience store a single tin of Heinz beans is 75p.

Does this make the convenience store guilty of a 'rip off'? No, of course not. They are more expensive than Aldi, that's all.

End of the day, it is the customer's job to ensure that they get the best deal they can, and the supplier's job to make as much profit as possible overall.

There is no such thing as 'fair' pricing. 'Fairness' doesn't come into it. Prices are set by the market via the law of supply and demand. If, as a consumer, you find a price to be be too expensive, go elsewhere.

If however, the 'expensive' supplier finds that they can sell their product to other customers at the high price good luck to them - they could just be doing a great job of marketing their wares and stimulating demand. So long as their customers are happy no-one is being 'ripped off'.

The whole MoneySavingExpert concept is all about becoming a canny consumer and finding the deal that suits your circumstances the best. Inevitably in any market there will be a wide range of prices as different traders pitch their wares at different sectors. A higher price can often mean higher quality, although often of course, it doesn't. It is entirely up to the consumer to make the decision.

Caveat Emptor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport