We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Files inaccessible because of folder/directory error
Kleric
Posts: 25 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi everyone
I'm having a problem with a drive that I back up all my music files to. It is on an Iomega external hardrive. I always back all my files up to a specific folder. Recently I changed the folder name to something different. When I next went to access all the files my laptop came up with an error message saying something along the lines of folder/directory tree error and although I could see the folder name in my computer I could not open it. Therefore I now can not get to the files contained in that folder. If I view the folder properties I can see that all the files are in there, but because I can't open the folder I can't get to them.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can get round this? Any help would be gratefully received as this is causing me quite a serious problem
many thanks
Kleric
I'm having a problem with a drive that I back up all my music files to. It is on an Iomega external hardrive. I always back all my files up to a specific folder. Recently I changed the folder name to something different. When I next went to access all the files my laptop came up with an error message saying something along the lines of folder/directory tree error and although I could see the folder name in my computer I could not open it. Therefore I now can not get to the files contained in that folder. If I view the folder properties I can see that all the files are in there, but because I can't open the folder I can't get to them.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can get round this? Any help would be gratefully received as this is causing me quite a serious problem
many thanks
Kleric
YAY!!! Self-employed & working-from-home :T
0
Comments
-
it wasn't a system folder was it?
I assume you tried to rename again back to the original folder name?
let me know the score...0 -
No it wasn't a system folder, Just called My music backup.
Yes i did try and rename it back to the original but that didn't work unfortunately
thanks for the replyYAY!!! Self-employed & working-from-home :T0 -
oh its on an external hard drive....sorry i should read more carefully....can you give me the exact error message?0
-
and did you install the automatic backup software when you originally purchased your external drive?0
-
sounds like you do have summat corrupt or some file allocation is chuffed0
-
you will have to put the drive letter in to run chkdsk
ie chkdsk e: /F
if it is the e: drive, or d: for d etc.Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:0 -
oh ok - I'll try chkdsk
do I have to boot to dos prompt to run that or just from the command prompt screen available from Accessories?
If I have to boot to dos prompt how do I do that in Win XP?
many thanksYAY!!! Self-employed & working-from-home :T0 -
hi
well I've done that, it took ages, but at the end said it had found no errors!
the problem is still there, the files are not accessible.
also now, when I open my computer the folder that is causing the problem is not listed anymore. However, checking the properties of the drive shows all the files are still there, and taking up a lot of room on the hardrive. They're all still there but the folder they are in doesn't show in my computer anymore!!!
anyone got an more ideas please?
many thanksYAY!!! Self-employed & working-from-home :T0 -
I have tried doing a search for them on the hard-drive but the search doesn't find them, presumably because it can't see/find the folder they are in. The files are definitely there tho, because they show in the hard-drives properties
Any other ideas very gratefully received thanksYAY!!! Self-employed & working-from-home :T0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards