We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A mail provider for MS Outlook

Crabman
Crabman Posts: 9,937 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
I currently use Hotmail and gmail, but since I've installed Outlook, I was wondering if there are providers which offer some sort of POP3 service so I can use Outlook on here which without a doubt would be faster.

I tried using hotmail/gmail - no joy :(

Cheers :beer:

Crabster :D

Comments

  • foxwales
    foxwales Posts: 590 Forumite
    You can use your hotmail and gmail accounts through your OUTLOOK, just simple look on google for "configuring mail clients in outlook".
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    foxwales wrote: »
    You can use your hotmail and gmail accounts through your OUTLOOK, just simple look on google for "configuring mail clients in outlook".

    Hotmail is dependant on the age of the account and whether you have to pay a subscription for pop3.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • foxwales
    foxwales Posts: 590 Forumite
    Hotmail is a free POP3 mail account and you can auto configure it with Outlook without any issues. So I have to disagree with you there.
  • ellybelly89
    ellybelly89 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    hotmail does not work with windows live mail the successor to outlook. i've read in other threads that outlook now charge if you want to link it to your hotmail.
  • cledor
    cledor Posts: 809 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Only old Hotmail.com accounts work for free in Outlook Express, but GMail should be OK.

    You'll need to get GMail to autoconfig your email client settings, otherwise it is likely to fail in POP3, this is done when you enable the POP3 setting from within GMail.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    foxwales wrote: »
    Hotmail is a free POP3 mail account and you can auto configure it with Outlook without any issues. So I have to disagree with you there.

    I respectfully disagree and include the following quote from hotmail's own FAQ:
    "To protect our users from the increasing amount of unsolicited junk e-mail or spam sent from MSN Hotmail accounts through Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express, we have reluctantly had to restrict the new use of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express to subscribers."

    And when it was announced a few years ago: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3697286.stm
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • Getafix
    Getafix Posts: 126 Forumite
    Web2pop any good for you?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You're right and I've just managed to set up gmail on it - for some reason last time I tried gmail it didn't work, this time it configured it automatically. Web2pop sounds interesting too.

    Unfortunately as my hotmail is a new-ish account it isn't compatible with pop mail unless I subscribe for a fee, that's not going to happen :rotfl:

    Cheers, appreciate your help :D :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.