bought a dud car - how to get money back?

Options
2»

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My rear exhaust box is flaking. Its been like it for a while now. Passed the last MOT no problem.

If i took it to one of the chains it would be an immediate danger must replace now or you may die on the way home. Yet it will pass an MOT.

Sorry but your going to need something more than there are noises from the engine to get a refund.
    The cutting out issue maybe something very minor.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    no the op in legislation hasnt accepted the vehicle.

she does not have to accept a repair from the garage.
    she has not accepted the vehicle to be of satifactory quality.

if the engine cuts out at random, then this can endanger her her husband especially if it cuts out in gear at speed and also endanger others.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    My rear exhaust box is flaking. Its been like it for a while now. Passed the last MOT no problem.

If i took it to one of the chains it would be an immediate danger must replace now or you may die on the way home. Yet it will pass an MOT.

Sorry but your going to need something more than there are noises from the engine to get a refund.
    The cutting out issue maybe something very minor.[/QUOTE]

no she's not, she's perfectly within her rights to have her money back without having to have a repair first if the op took it to a mechanic who states the engine is not of satisfactory quality expected then she is within her rigts to have money back.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    The garage I took it to is a small one I trust. The car is an mg ZR and the man who sold it to us has multiple convictions and jail terms for car fraud and selling cars without a second hand car dealers licence.

His garage is a yard piled high with old cars and a mechanic who said he never sees his boss and doesn't appear to have much equipment or tools to do his job. I don't have much faith in the ability of the seller or his garage to remedy this effectively and trading standards in the area are well aware of him but he just keeps getting away with it.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    The garage I took it to is a small one I trust. The car is an mg ZR and the man who sold it to us has multiple convictions and jail terms for car fraud and selling cars without a second hand car dealers licence.

His garage is a yard piled high with old cars and a mechanic who said he never sees his boss and doesn't appear to have much equipment or tools to do his job. I don't have much faith in the ability of the seller or his garage to remedy this effectively and trading standards in the area are well aware of him but he just keeps getting away with it.

you should have researched this car to be fair like with many others.

i can tell you allot of misdiagnosis can given with these cars.

i suspect you were told the HG has failed as theres milking or white gunk under the oil cap and thats why its cutting out due to low compression in the cylinders.

is it overheating?

poor idle with a k series engine is due to the idle control valve or map sensor.

assume you have 1.4 16v MG ZR
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The cutting out issue maybe something very minor.

no she's not, she's perfectly within her rights to have her money back without having to have a repair first if the op took it to a mechanic who states the engine is not of satisfactory quality expected then she is within her rigts to have money back.

If you were selling cheap cars would you instantly refund a customer that asks for a refund because someone told them the car makes funny noises?

Personally i think i would be making funny noises trying to stop myself having fits of laughter.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    If you were selling cheap cars would you instantly refund a customer that asks for a refund because someone told them the car makes funny noises?

Personally i think i would be making funny noises trying to stop myself having fits of laughter.

then your name would dragged through the mud youd have complaints coming in from TS from customers complaints.

No i would not WANT TO but then i would have to take into account that the vehicle has many faults, and i would have to comply to legislation if i were to be a decent trader.

to me reputation would mean more to me than holding onto a few hundred quid.

i would want to rectify the problem, but if the person came upto me saying their rejecting it because its not of satisfactory quality and had a report to prove it why argue over it get the customer back offer a like for like swap or if not give the cash back without fuss if that is what legislation says, that would earn me a decent reputation for aftersales, and my name would not be tarnished around the locals.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    you should have researched this car to be fair like with many others.

i can tell you allot of misdiagnosis can given with these cars.

i suspect you were told the HG has failed as theres milking or white gunk under the oil cap and thats why its cutting out due to low compression in the cylinders.

is it overheating?

poor idle with a k series engine is due to the idle control valve or map sensor.

assume you have 1.4 16v MG ZR

HG was apparently recently replaced so don't think its that. I don't know enough about cars but will see what the seller says he thinks is wrong with it if he ever responds to the phone. It is a 1.4 MG ZR.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    HG was apparently recently replaced so don't think its that. I don't know enough about cars but will see what the seller says he thinks is wrong with it if he ever responds to the phone. It is a 1.4 MG ZR.

did you have reciepts to say it was replaced? thats a good part ex or selling point.

if not considder it hasnt been done but dont fear that.

theres doing a HG replacement on a k series and doing the right headgasket replacement on a k series engine.

the 1.4 isnt known for popping HG's without the help of someone not taking anynotice of maintenance i.e if it was maintained well it will serve you well.

the quick way for a dealer to say it has the headgasket done, is banging alot of k-seal or steal seal in it. easy way to check for k-seal, is what looks like copper grease (like you put on brake pad backing for anti squeel) in the expansion water tank.

i bet your pretty miffed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport