We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Dell Latitude memory

I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop with 2 256 MB of memory in it.

If I buy a 1 GB stick of memory can I also use one of the 256 MB of memory to give me 1.256 GB of memory?
Getting forgetful, if you think I've asked this before I probably have. :rotfl:

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes but you would be better off putting at least 2GB in it.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • NowRetired
    NowRetired Posts: 366 Forumite
    you would be better off putting at least 2GB in it

    I have decide to do that. Just ordered a couple of 1GB from Ebay.

    After I am finished with this laptop I wonder how it will compare to my Kindle Fire HD, which my wife has stolen, for reading books?

    If I could get a cheap IDE SSD I would install that as well.
    Getting forgetful, if you think I've asked this before I probably have. :rotfl:
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    Yes but you would be better off putting at least 2GB in it.

    Not unless it was cheaper used RAM. Certainly wouldn't spend £40 upgrading that old machine.
  • NowRetired
    NowRetired Posts: 366 Forumite
    Certainly wouldn't spend £40 upgrading that old machine

    But cost doesn't matter when it is a hobby doing up old computers.

    And I didn't pay £40.

    Even if I did, I can spend more than that on a night out.
    Getting forgetful, if you think I've asked this before I probably have. :rotfl:
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    NowRetired wrote: »
    But cost doesn't matter when it is a hobby doing up old computers.

    And I didn't pay £40.

    Even if I did, I can spend more than that on a night out.


    Cost doesn't matter?? It's hardly a rare antiquity. It's your money, but this is a money saving website.
    I didn't write that it wasn't worth upgrading. I wrote that I wouldn't spend £40, but I would use cheaper used RAM.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.