Restaurant vouchers for america

Options
Looking for advice from you very clever people. We are going to America and are trying to buy some discount restaurant vouchers from restaurant.com but we cant get it to work. Anybody else had any success with buying vouchers food restaurant before travelling using this or any other sites? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• KarenG
    KarenG Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    We've used this many times with no problem - whats not working for you?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    we also use it regularly and have no issues - sometimes people have reported problems using a UK postcode and I think some have said just use any random US zip code. I can't recall ever having an issue but I normally pay via PayPal.

If you do not already know about the discount codes regularly released it would be worth looking into and perhaps waiting until one is available. They had a 50% code good until 15th May.

And they currently have a deal on - haven't done the maths to tell if it's good or not but $150 restaurant.com gift card for $30...so you could in theory use it to buy 6 $25 restaurant certificates, for example.

http://w.nmb.ly/ozusu

and thinking about it I think that's basically the same as a 50% off code (if $25 vouchers normally cost $10 - you could get 3 at full price or 6 using this offer).
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Vikki_74
    Vikki_74 Posts: 750 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2013 at 9:03PM
    Options
    I've used restaurant.com a number of times now and never had any problems. As ferf mentioned, I seem to remember having to set up my account with a random US zip code on the billing address but it's never caused an issue with payments going through.

I wasn't aware until recently, but if you join the US version of TopCashBack (it's fine doing this if you're in the UK and worthwhile anyway if you're heading to the States) you can get 35% cashback on the purchase price which reduces the cost further.

http://www.topcashback.com/restaurant/

Also, if you buy certificates and don't use them, you can request a credit back to use again at a different restaurant. No hassle - you used to have to send them a quick email to request the exchange but can now do it all yourself online. I've done this a lot; still "recycling" credits in my account from when we first used the site in 2010!
  • matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your useful advice. I am going to try again at the weekend when I have my expert son, travel agent, with me! I will let you all know how I got on.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    do keep an eye out for special offers before buying - that $150 for $30 offer I posted is only good for another day and a half or so (and does say limited quantities available) so will not be available by the weekend but there may be another special offer available that's similar. If you have time to wait may be worth it as you can regularly get codes that will bring the cost of the vouchers down and make them even better value.

you can try signing up on their site - but emails from them seem to be hit and miss...there are several of us on the Vegas thread that use the site regularly so you may be able to ask there if there are any current codes/offers available.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure