We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cataloging and searching PDF's

I guess this is a slightly odd one but just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have a large archive of documents in PDF format which I want to be able to search by keyword. For example, I want to find all PDF's that contain a specific term. Can anyone think of any idea's for software that could do this, preferably low cost?

I also plan for the documents to be held on a NAS if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

  • UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 887
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I may be worn but doesnt windows 7/8 do this, not sure about on a nas though
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,405
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your starter for 10 .....

    Adobe PDF iFilter and Windows Search
  • UncleZen wrote: »
    I may be worn but doesnt windows 7/8 do this, not sure about on a nas though

    I'm using 7 64bit but it doesn't appear to by default. However after installing the 64 bit version of Adobe iFilter, and re-indexing the disks, I can now search for the contents of PDF's on local drives.

    I don't have the NAS yet - does anyone know if they can be indexed for use with Windows search?
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm using 7 64bit but it doesn't appear to by default. However after installing the 64 bit version of Adobe iFilter, and re-indexing the disks, I can now search for the contents of PDF's on local drives.

    I don't have the NAS yet - does anyone know if they can be indexed for use with Windows search?

    One possibility would be for you to map the network drive or folder to a 'local' drive letter (e.g. Z: ) and index that on the PC you want to search from - haven't tried this on W7, but it should work :)
  • tocsin wrote: »
    One possibility would be for you to map the network drive or folder to a 'local' drive letter (e.g. Z: ) and index that on the PC you want to search from - haven't tried this on W7, but it should work :)

    Thanks for the suggestion (sorry I've only just seen the post) but my research so far suggests Windows 7 x64 is unable to index network drives, even if they've been mapped under a drive letter. Apparently the 32 bit OS has a patch available to enable it, but not the 64 bit version.

    Any suggestions? I've seen Google Desktop Search suggested as a possible solution but it's discontinued.
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    How about this, but the file content might not be indexed, but file properties are...
    http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/index.html

    However only the professional one offers what you need.
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 May 2013 at 6:03PM
    Umm... it's a bit naff if the super-duper 64bit OS can't do things the venerable 32bit OS can :(

    Thought no. 1 - if they have removed drive mapping, is that because it has been replaced by the Libraries feature? (Another thing I don't use!).

    Thought no. 2 - like Copernic, suggested by isofa, I use FileLocator Lite ( https://www.mythicsoft.com ). I didn't suggest this before, as I prefer to come up with a 'no extra software' solution if possible.

    HTH

    Forgot to say the important bit - FileLocator works from a W7 Pro laptop accessing folders on a Windows Home Server 2011 network drive, so it _should_ work on a NAS drive!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.