PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared Ownership - is it value for money?

Options
Hi, we know that when you can't get credit and need to buy a car, there are companies out there that will sell to you with a higher interest rate and usually a higher selling price too. This is poor value for money since the buyer doesn't have many options.

I'm just helping my brother out with some shared ownership ideas and was a bit staggered at the choices available. I live in a two bed house worth around £120k. Two one bed flats in similar areas my brother is looking at on a shared ownership scheme are asking for £75k for a 50% share. I asked my brother if he could get a mortgage for the full amount would he spend it on one of these flats? Answer was a flat no.

It seems that if people can't afford 100% for their FTB home, they are being asked for 75% for what might only be a 50% share. This means someone is taking advantage of the situation. Both parties in the shared ownership deal are getting poor value.

I was also suprised to see certain houses being advertised with these deals. When I heard about shared ownership I assumed that you could go and find a house on the free market, then go and talk to your housing association/charity organisation about co-funding it.

Basically I smell a rat, and I think that the FTB's going down this increasingly popular route should ask the simple question - if it were all your own money, would you still buy it? Just because you can't buy the whole thing, doesn't mean you don't deserve value for money.
Regards

Mark

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where do you get the idea that you pay 75% for a 50% share? Is that just based on the costs of properties similier to yours? Do you know that they have been valued the same as your particular house?

As to what properties you can buy it all depends on whos scheme you get on. Most associations will have properties on their own developments for shared ownership. Some, like ours, allow you to buy from the open market as we did.

The house we have a 50% share in was valued at 75k. We took a 35k mortgage - 50%. The only "extra" cost to us were the housing associations legal fees.

Buying shared ownership was the only way we would have got on the ladder, I was a public sector worker and hubby was self employed and he couldnt get a mortgage.
    Eight years later our property is now worth 220k, so do the sums.
    Value for money? I think so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport