We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Voltage/adapter question

mrskaz
mrskaz Posts: 109 Forumite
Hi, I've just bought a Magic Sing karaoke microphone for my mam for her birthday. Before I bought it I read about the voltage (as it is an international model) and it said it came with a 110-240v adapter and can be used anywhere in the world (it can also run on 2 AA batteries). It arrived today and the adapter does say 110-240v on it but the plug is an american style plug (2 flat bars coming out)! Will it be okay to buy one of those travel adapters from argos and then plug into our plug sockets?? or could I try changing the plug over?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mrs kaz

Comments

  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    You don't need a travel adapter, you'll need a shaver adapter.
  • mrskaz
    mrskaz Posts: 109 Forumite
    Ahhhh right, thanks very much Donnie, you don't know how helpful you've been!:beer:

    Mrskaz.xx:T
  • ScottySmog
    ScottySmog Posts: 235 Forumite
    mrskaz wrote: »
    Hi, I've just bought a Magic Sing karaoke microphone for my mam for her birthday. Before I bought it I read about the voltage (as it is an international model) and it said it came with a 110-240v adapter and can be used anywhere in the world (it can also run on 2 AA batteries). It arrived today and the adapter does say 110-240v on it but the plug is an american style plug (2 flat bars coming out)! Will it be okay to buy one of those travel adapters from argos and then plug into our plug sockets?? or could I try changing the plug over?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mrs kaz

    A shaver adaptor from a US plug to a shaving socket is fine - as long as you want your Mum singing in a bathroom!:rotfl: (unless you're going to Europe on holiday?:p )

    A standard US ---> UK adaptor will be fine - voltage is not a problem in this case.

    Or as ts_aly2000 says, take a pair of scissors, cut the US plug off and change it.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Where did you buy it? I'm not 100% sure but I thought any electrical item sold/imported in this country with a plug must either be a UK plug or come with a UK adapter. Maybe someone could clarify.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    ScottySmog wrote: »
    A shaver adaptor from a US plug to a shaving socket is fine - as long as you want your Mum singing in a bathroom!:rotfl: (unless you're going to Europe on holiday?:p )

    A standard US ---> UK adaptor will be fine - voltage is not a problem in this case.

    Or as ts_aly2000 says, take a pair of scissors, cut the US plug off and change it.

    What on earth are you on? A UK shaver adapter terminates with a standard UK 3-pin plug. The female end accepts both US and European plugs.

    If you buy the Argos adapter, don't forget to change the fuse to a higher rated model.

    Seen one before?; http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10651&productId=682360
  • ScottySmog
    ScottySmog Posts: 235 Forumite
    Deleted ....
  • mrskaz
    mrskaz Posts: 109 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply's everyone, I'm off to Argos today to buy the shaving adapter for 2.99:j I know I'm going to sound really thick now-but what fuse do I have I have to change it to?!?! I know, I'm like a law unto myself sometimes!

    Superscraper- I bought it from Ebay, but I assumed it would have a uk plug as I bought it from a seller in the UK. I can't complain really as it was a bargain, its just something I have to sort out!!

    Thanks

    Mrskaz
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    3 Ampere or 5 Ampere.

    Wonder what ScottySmog wrote so early in the morning...;) Maybe I don't want to know.
  • mrskaz
    mrskaz Posts: 109 Forumite
    Thanks Donnie....and err I get the feeling you probably don't want to know either! :)

    :beer: mrs kaz
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.