We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

laptops got a cold....or should that be an infection?

Hello

I have a dell laptop that has become infected.

The symptoms are;

No wifi internet, (appears to be hijacked as shows still connected and uploading files, so I have disabled wifi card in bios for now).

No virus scanning programs will complete there install..... on install main .EXE file is deleted. including AVG, mcafee, and spybotSD.exe.

I have access to machine via usb mem stick, so I can use another pc to download apps etc etc and try run on laptop. The other pc is fully protected with your recommended apps).

It wont boot to safe mode, I get so far, then get blue screen message saying boot stopped to protect my computer.

I can log in as an administrator though, so I can run some apps, including CCleaner.

The system is XP pro, with SP2 I believe, and windows updates are automatic. I can call up explorer, task manager etc, with no obvious problems.

Hoping some one out there can help

Em

Comments

  • ABH_3
    ABH_3 Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    shed_head wrote: »
    Hello

    I have a dell laptop that has become infected.

    The symptoms are;

    No wifi internet, (appears to be hijacked as shows still connected and uploading files, so I have disabled wifi card in bios for now).

    No virus scanning programs will complete there install..... on install main .EXE file is deleted. including AVG, mcafee, and spybotSD.exe.

    I have access to machine via usb mem stick, so I can use another pc to download apps etc etc and try run on laptop. The other pc is fully protected with your recommended apps).

    It wont boot to safe mode, I get so far, then get blue screen message saying boot stopped to protect my computer.

    I can log in as an administrator though, so I can run some apps, including CCleaner.

    The system is XP pro, with SP2 I believe, and windows updates are automatic. I can call up explorer, task manager etc, with no obvious problems.

    Hoping some one out there can help

    Em

    Log in as Admin then, Right click the status\task bar select 'Tast Manager' select programs tab, cancel all programs that are running (if any) look on the 'Processes' Tab order by memory, Highlight as appropriate 'End Task' the appropriate program\s. Open windows Explorer Start\Run explorer.exe save your files to a memory stick, dvd or whatever. Open your browser get a copy of AVGFree http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

    Reboot machine hold down 'Ctrl +F7' or it might be 'Ctrl +F11' (I can't remember) then restore to 'factory defaults'. Immediately activate the windows firewall, then install AVG, update it run it etc download http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp turn off windows firewall. Restore data and you're good to go. You can then set about removing all those useless programs ie: McAffee etc that Dell kindly provided for you.

    HTH
    It could have been worse. At least source code's not combustible, or you can bet somebody at McAfee would have lit it.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Hasn't he already got AVG? Doesn't appear to have stopped him from getting infected in the first place.
    Though I wonder if he had both McAfee and AVG running at the same time....
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,626
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    if your wireless router has a LAN port can you connect to the internet via that on the laptop ??

    then use an online scanner

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    or try one of the lesser known Antivirus

    http://www.clamwin.com/

    or

    http://www.novatix.com/cyberhawk/

    or

    http://www.download.com/Multi-Virus-Cleaner-2007/3000-2239_4-10681699.html?tag=lst-0-4

    or

    http://www.download.com/AntiHook-Windows-2000-XP-2003-Server/3000-2239_4-10578225.html?tag=lst-0-9

    or

    http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/


    if it's a lesser known Anti virus the infection may not have it on it's list to attack !!

    also use this, it re-Enables all what the virus had disabled, and brings every thing back

    http://www.download.com/RRT-Remove-Restrictions-Tool-/3000-2239_4-10653098.html?tag=lst-0-7
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • BeerBelly
    BeerBelly Posts: 325
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you can't even boot into Safe Mode (F8) and are receiving the blue screen of death, this is likely to be a hardware componet issue rather than a driver.

    One of the lines on this blue sreen MAY give you a clue

    Have you added any devices to the PC recently? Any devices in the PCI slots inside the computer? Extra memory? Recenlty having problems with graphics card.

    If you have, take it out and try and boot up into safe mode again/normal mode again.

    The first thing you want to do, to repair windows is first to overcome the blue screen/hardware issue then you can start looking at what virus/spyware corrupt installer is giving you probs with programs.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.