How do you import emails from Outlook into Plusnet?

Options
Laz123
Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I'm sick and tired of this new look Hotmail which is now Outlook.

I have managed to set up my Plusnet email address. But looking through all the support pages it looks quite complicated to import all my emails from Outlook.

Can anyone tell me in simplistic terms how to go about this?

TIA

Comments

• WilliamO
    WilliamO Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    Where are you importing to? If you are using a program such as mozilla thunderbird or windows live mail 2012 on your computer you just add the outlook.com account to it. And the plusnet account too if need be.

Or are you trying to export plusnet emails into outlook.com? If so, you could see if the plusnet webmail has an export function to export emails and contacts as a .pst file.
  • Laz123
    Options
    I am trying to import the emails from my Hotmail/Outlook email address into my Plusnet email address.

Do I need to install anything?
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think OP is wanting to import their existing mail stored in outlook.com(formerely Hotmail.com/co.uk) into Plusnet's webmail side of their email facilities.

You can't - there is so far as I'm aware no provision for doing this (export/import) in Plusnet's webmail facility.
  • Laz123
    Options
    I think OP is wanting to import their existing mail stored in outlook.com(formerely Hotmail.com/co.uk) into Plusnet's webmail side of their email facilities.

You can't - there is so far as I'm aware no provision for doing this (export/import) in Plusnet's webmail facility.

Exactly. Okay, but you can do it with yahoo emailing so why not Plusnet?
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 May 2013 at 3:35PM
    Options
    Laz123 wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of this new look Hotmail which is now Outlook.

I have managed to set up my Plusnet email address. But looking through all the support pages it looks quite complicated to import all my emails from Outlook.

Can anyone tell me in simplistic terms how to go about this?

TIA

Why would anybody use the ISP's email address? Makes it difficult to change ISP's in the future. Go for GMail or another independent (from your Internet connection) email provider.

Edit: And chose a provider which supports IMAP. This way you can simply drag'n'drop your emails from one account to another with an email client like Thunderbird.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Laz123 wrote: »
    Exactly. Okay, but you can do it with yahoo emailing so why not Plusnet?

Because Plusnet have decided not to install a webmail program that provides such a facility
    Its a business decision they have made I suppose, Better webmail programs/servers with more facilities would cost them more money.
    Do people want to pay more for their broadband? - err no!

How come the free ones do it?
    Well they are 'free' in the sense that you don't pay cash to them but there is no such thing as a free lunch.
    So I guess the free ones are harvesting your data, analysing your emails for key words, lifting your contacts etc and selling the resulting block data to marketing groups from which they make money. After all, it's not as if Google doesn't have form on this sort of thing is it......

I'm getting the feeling that ISP's are seemingly long term moving away from providing web space and email and are just going to be concentrating on providing an internet connection.

It must be a load of aggro to run a email server - not to mention the costs in staff time, doing the backups whatever and the cost of running the data disks 24/7 365 days a year - this all does use electricity.
    .....and then there is the spam against which you have to set up systems to quarantine against both incomming AND outgoing from your own users. Else your own servers will be black-listed by spam hunter organisations used by some companies/NHS etc as a incoming mail spam sweeper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure