Burglar Alarm Installation Prices

Options

Comments

• xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we had 3 quotes earlier this year for hybrid system where sesors etc are wireless and external siren is wired. all quotes were between £600 and £800. it was for 3-bed semi with 5 PIR sensors and 3 door contacts.
  • kwoodberry
    Options
    Hi There, since this thread is kinda still active I thought I'd add my two pennys worth :)
    I worked in the alarm industry for a number of years, now I build websites. Putting the two skills together I built a useful website with a burglar alarm cost calculator (supplied and installed price in your local area), take a look - securityalarms.co.uk/calculator/

On a sidenote; wireless systems are now much more reliable than they ever were. Always opt for 868mhz system though, not 433mhz as they're more stable (less prone to false alarms).

If you're handy with DIY, a solid wireless system is Visonic's Powermax Plus system. You can pick a new Powermax Plus for less than £300.

Hope this helps.
  • madwayne
    madwayne Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Annual maintenance should take around 1 hour and cost approximately £50, it may be as high as £100.

Wireless devices should have there batteries replaced every two years, but may last longer.

The panels back up battery, should be replaced every 5 years, but may last longer.

There are occasions where the batteries do not last as long, but the above is a very good guideline.

Monitoring is using a monthly charge in the region of £20 to £30 a month.

Note: police do not attend audible only alarms, unless its verified that someone is breaking in, ie a neighbour reports the alarm has gone off and can see some one breaking in.

Those alarms that are monitored have to confirm the alarm is a genuine activation before they can call the police to attend. Repeated false alarms and you can lose your police response. alternatively you can have a key holder response.

There are alarms out there now where you can do your own visual verification using cameras as part of the alarm system or with additional CCTV activated from the alarm panel.

Thiefs take seconds to break in to unsecured homes and are gine usually with a few minutes.

1. Consult you local crime prevention officer for free advice on making your home and out buildings more secure.

2. Check your locks are 5 lever mortice, or in the case of the PVC door and the euro barrell that they have the latest 3 star rating and they are installed correctly.

3. lock all windows and doors, burglars only need the slightest of opportunitioes to exploit.

4. Keep valuable things out of site, make sure that if the burglar was looking through your window when passing they cant see anything valuable.

5. Mark your valuable items on the back with the UV pen, register them with serial numbers on immobilise.com

Alarms are a good visual deterrent, but you should have it maintained at least once a year.

Always get 3 alarm installation quotes, ask the alarm companies about what they are offering you.

1. Cheapest or dearest is not always the best (hence 3 different quotes)

2. Your installer should show you how to use your alarm after the install and after a maintenance if required.

3. Generally cheaper alarms offer less protection, you should make sure the panels and the installations are installed to the standards, minimum grade 2 for domestics some panels are only capable of being grade 1 compliant.

If you bear in mind what i said about police response, you should also consider the discount you get for having an alarm(bells only), a self monitored alarm or alarm company monitored alarm, usually the discounts offered are much lower than the cost of the annual monitoring and maintenance fees.
  • alggomas
    Options
    We have been unlucky enough to be burgled recently.
    While I agree with most comments I would suggest you photograph your valuables NOW and mark them.
    DO NOT keep money or really expensive jewellery in the bedroom!
    This is the first place they will look! We had lots of jewellery stolen in 10 minutes in daylight!
    Prised open upvc porch door and kicked in the main door smashing nightlatch and insurance rated 5 lever!
    Buy a small safe less than £200 and bolt to wall and/or floor and put downstairs!
    If you want convenience put a small safe in cupboard/wardrobe bolted down for jewellery if you must. Do not leave all your money in one place!
    You can buy pretend cans which are hollow to put cash in and place near back of pantry/kitchen shelf.
    Basically you want to make it as awkward as possible for the thief!
    The police told us they despite high security ikff they want to they will break in.
    Asian families should be ultra aware of protecting their valuables.
    Remember the burglar wants in and out so make it more difficult for them.
    File your jewellery or expensive receipts.
    We did not photograph our jewellery but I had several " party " photographs showing the jewellery being worn.
    This is a bit long and is complimenting all the other advice.
  • angel_of_dartford
    Options
    1st and only post , promoting a company, and reopening a year old thread ?

Gonna call spam on this !
  • gingerpixels
    Options
    I thought I’d share an easy to use online alarm system calculator however I’m not sure if this is good forum etiquette? please help.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you can get one system that rings your mobile when it goes off
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Mr.Generous
    Options
    a lot of suggestions for high end systems and prices, my experience as a renovator is that any decent alarm fitted will 100% deter burglars. They will always hit the property with no alarm. Look at the Yale wireless stuff from screwfix, always add remote controls (because the system will then get used and has no access route delay if set by remote) and the bell box is a good visible deterrent. We quite often fit for neighbors when we have done ours on a flip house, the most we would charge would be £250. It would take half a day for 2 of us to plan / program and fit a Yale system on a normal size 3 / 4 bed house.
  • dysons
    dysons Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What make do you have please so I can research it.

Regards,
    Steve
  • Money_saving_maniac
    Options
    About £550 fitted for an alarm from a local company in South West, contact sensors on front and back exits and room sensors downstairs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure