We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
IDE or SATA?
Jazzycat
Posts: 459 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi,
I'm looking to get replace my second drive as the memory capacity is running low. Looking at some there appears to be a choice of IDE or SATA.
My pc is about 5 yrs old but has had about 3 drives replaced. I don't think I bought a SATA one last time??
Can someone please explain the difference and if they are compitable to my pc.
Thanks all!
I'm looking to get replace my second drive as the memory capacity is running low. Looking at some there appears to be a choice of IDE or SATA.
My pc is about 5 yrs old but has had about 3 drives replaced. I don't think I bought a SATA one last time??
Can someone please explain the difference and if they are compitable to my pc.
Thanks all!
0
Comments
-
I would say it's an IDE drive
if your Pc is 5 years old it's most unlikely to have SATA, if you want to check downloand and run Belarc Advisor , it will identify the motherboard and then checkEx forum ambassador
Long term forum member0 -
Have a look at the cable connecting it:

If its the one on the RIGHT. Its an IDE drive.
If its the small one on the LEFT it's a SATA drive0 -
thanks both.
Have identified thats its a IDE drive
cheers0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
