Money maths - how good are you? Poll discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    The answer is C :D
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • wisp_2
    wisp_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    not sure I'd bother with the stock exchange with just 100 quid - be better to overpay the mortgage with it - definately saving small amounts of interest for the next 25 years...

wisp:j
  • kennyboy66_2
    kennyboy66_2 Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    So many numbers!

I hope the mathematicians didn't have to get out their spreadsheets to answer this one.

There are two elementary arithmetical principles here that tell us, FIRST, that the values of A and B must be equal and, SECONDLY, that the value of A and B must be less than the value of C. (And the logicians wll tell us that you don't need the first principle to arrive at the answer if you use the second principle twice.)

FIRST PRINCIPLE: which is bigger - 7 x 6 or 6 x 7 ? You don't need to know your times tables to answer this: you can multiply numbers in any order you like without altering the result. The value of A is your original investment - say, £100 - times 1.05 ^ 4 (or 1.05 x 1.05 x 1.05 x 1.05) and then times 0.95 ^ 4. The value of B is £100 times 0.95 ^ 4 then times 1.05 ^ 4. These answers must be the same.

SECOND PRINCIPLE: which is bigger - 10% of £10 or 10% of £20? (Again, you don't need to know what 10% of £10 or £20 actually is.) This is basically what alexjohnson was trying to tell us. I think he's right. So if you add a percentage - 5%, in this case - to your original investment and then deduct the SAME percentage off your new and higher value you are bound to finish up with less. (Take an extreme example if it helps: try increasing your investment by 100% and then reducing it by 100%.) So £100 x 1.05 x 0.95 must be less than £100. And of course you get the same result if you knock the 5% off first and then add it back, as in situation B.

If you can't follow this, get your spreadsheet out after all. You will get an answer, but may not know why.

A beautiful explanation.
    US housing: it's not a bubble

Moneyweek, December 2005
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Poll Title: Poll started 22 May 2007. Money maths - how good are you? This is a repeat of a poll I did back in 2005, to see how good you are at figuring out a basic, but not straightforward money sum. Which of the following gives the best return? (correct answer in next week's e-mail) The stockmarket....

A. rises 5% a year for 4 years then drops 5% a year for 4 years
    32.2% (1786 Votes)
    C. stays the same
    28.3% (1572 Votes)
    D. all are equal
    25.3% (1408 Votes)
    B. drops 5% a year for 4 years then rises 5% a year for 4 years
    13.9% (776 Votes)

Total Votes: 5546

P.S. The correct answer is C!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The answer is C.

I was going to write a long explanation about the commutative nature of maths and the fact that 25% off a value always had a bigger impact than 25% added to a value.

Yet as King Weasel has done it so well above I thought I would simply use his...

"So many numbers!

I hope the mathematicians didn't have to get out their spreadsheets to answer this one.

There are two elementary arithmetical principles here that tell us, FIRST, that the values of A and B must be equal and, SECONDLY, that the value of A and B must be less than the value of C. (And the logicians wll tell us that you don't need the first principle to arrive at the answer if you use the second principle twice.)
    • FIRST PRINCIPLE: which is bigger - 7 x 6 or 6 x 7 ? You don't need to know your times tables to answer this: you can multiply numbers in any order you like without altering the result. The value of A is your original investment - say, £100 - times 1.05 ^ 4 (or 1.05 x 1.05 x 1.05 x 1.05) and then times 0.95 ^ 4. The value of B is £100 times 0.95 ^ 4 then times 1.05 ^ 4. These answers must be the same.
    • SECOND PRINCIPLE: which is bigger - 10% of £10 or 10% of £20? (Again, you don't need to know what 10% of £10 or £20 actually is.) This is basically what alexjohnson was trying to tell us. I think he's right. So if you add a percentage - 5%, in this case - to your original investment and then deduct the SAME percentage off your new and higher value you are bound to finish up with less. (Take an extreme example if it helps: try increasing your investment by 100% and then reducing it by 100%.) So £100 x 1.05 x 0.95 must be less than £100. And of course you get the same result if you knock the 5% off first and then add it back, as in situation B.
    If you can't follow this, get your spreadsheet out after all. You will get an answer, but may not know why."

For those who simply want a numerical answer, here it is:
    • Option A. Rises 5%/year for 4 years then drops 5%/year for 4 years. END RESULT: 99% of the start value
    • Option B. falls 5%/year for 4 years then rises 5%/year for 4 years. END RESULT: 99% of the start value
    • Option C. Stays the same. END RESULT: 100% of the start value
    • Option D. All of the above. NOT TRUE AS A, B & C produce different answers.
    The fact so few people got this right (as in 2005) shows the worry about how financial marketeers use maths to confuse!

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Princess_Jane
    Princess_Jane Posts: 896 Forumite
    Options
    I've got dyscalculia, which is the sort of the numerical form of dyslexsia, so there is no way I could work this out in a month of Sundays.

I have to carry a calculator everywhere and struggle to do change from a pound.

Hats off to everyone who worked it out!
    DEBT FREE! Sep '08/£9,800 in Oct '06 :beer:
  • webwiz
    webwiz Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martin and Lawrence,

What is rattling around in my head about this is the prejudice I detect against stocks in this example. My tounge is almost completely in cheek - but only almost. It really does bother me that you always push cash ISA's, because you're smart and people listen to you. I assume this is because anything else is a regulatory minefield and you don't want to go there, which is fair enough.

But over the long run, cash will perform more poorly than stocks (let's not go into the academics of it, and I think the statement is a fair one). ISA's are supposed to be about long term saving. Horse for courses - some people want to sleep easily at night. Some people are saving for something like a house deposit and want to know that the money is there. But I do wish you would ask people who are maxing out their cash ISA entitlement and who are saving for a rainy day at least to think about a low cost tracker, or taking some advice. I know it is in the articles, but you talk about it for stoozing, for example. Should you put a stooze pot in the stock market? Well that's not for me to decide but that is very risky. But by maxing out an ISA with a stooze pot (money borrowed from a credit card at 0%), you are capping your tax-free return at around 5.5%. That seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me. But hey - your site, your rules!

I agree that equities will (or at least always have) outperform cash in the long run. But everyone should have some cash in their portfolio for "rainy days". So the question is: should people use their ISA allowance for cash + shares in minis or all in shares in a maxi. The answer is clear for most people. The point of an ISA is that it is a tax free wrapper, but most people will not get any tax advantage from a shares ISA as there is no longer any tax relief on dividends and few people will exceed their tax free capital gain allowance. So a cash ISA is the first port of call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure