We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Laptop won't 'wake-up' - any suggestions?

Hillfly
Hillfly Posts: 672
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
Last night i closed the lid on my lappy as usual sending into standby. I then picked it up an hour or so later, opened the lid and prssed the power button.
The light came on the fan started - but then nothing. No clicking hard drive, no image on the screen. Not a thing.

I tried removing the battery and power lead and nothing. i left it unplugged overnight and tried again. Same results.

Any idea what may cause this or how i can wake it up?
Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere......

Comments

  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    have you tried it with the power supply in, and battery out?
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Hillfly
    Hillfly Posts: 672
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think so - I tried lots of time and i'm sure i tried that combo. I'll make sure i try again at home tonight.

    Keeping the power button depressed does power down the machine too.
    Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere......
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Is it under warranty?
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Hillfly
    Hillfly Posts: 672
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It may be a few months out of warranty - could i blag it or will they want to see an invoice/receipt which i don't have?

    Other option would be home accidental damage insurance.

    But i'll try and fix it first!
    Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere......
  • Nikolai
    Nikolai Posts: 348 Forumite
    Have you tried this combo: unplugged, battery out, hold down power button for 20-30 secs?
  • Hillfly
    Hillfly Posts: 672
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Have you tried this combo: unplugged, battery out, hold down power button for 20-30 secs?


    No, but i will! Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere......
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    This thread should hopefully give you some inspiration,,

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5189334

    The OP got it fixed out of warranty.

    If the power and battery is out, holding the button down for 20 secs won't do anything.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Hillfly
    Hillfly Posts: 672
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    albertross wrote: »
    If the power and battery is out, holding the button down for 20 secs won't do anything.

    The power and battery both make the laptop come alive (well the buttons light up and the fan goes!) but it wont start.
    Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere......
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.