Cycling..What is it you wish you knew when you started

Options

Comments

• SteveTern
    Options
    gkerr4 wrote: »
    good clipless pedals are awesome and make a massive difference to your riding.

Couldn't agree more. Especially as you can get reversible pedals (such as Shimano's PD-M324) - flat one side for that quick trip to the shops, and clipless on the other for more serious riding at the weekend.
    What I would seriously avoid are toeclips - from bitter experience I know how easy it is to get a shoe stuck, and once you can't quickly get it out, you're over into the road. In my case, I can't believe how fortunate I was that there was no traffic around me at the time...
    You sometimes hear that people worry that clipless pedals will trap their feet, but once the (very simple) technique is mastered, they are more or less foolproof, and far safer in my opinion.
  • kushy
    kushy Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Very tried and feels difficult to reduce my weight.
  • kwmlondon
    kwmlondon Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Options
    1. Do not pedal going fast round corners, especially when you're skirting a speedbump. You will launch yourself into the air.
    2. Decent puncture-resistant kevlar tyres are superb e.g. Specialized Armadillos or Schwalbe. I've barely had a flat/puncture in 2 years riding 16 miles a day in London.
    3. Keep your chain clean if nothing else, and oil it.
    4. Treat everyone on the road as if they are psychopaths with a vendetta against you!
    5. Don't drink and cycle, any crime committed on bike can be the same as driving a car - you can lose your driving license.
    6. Be prepared to add a few minutes to your journey in exchange for taking a route that gets you off main roads.
    7. You can cycle in anything comfortable that doesn't snag the moving bits of the bike, you don't have to wear lycra (I've never worn lycra on a bicycle, it's not right, keep that stuff for Erasure)
    8. You WILL end up looking down some very unpleasant bum cleavage at some point.
    9. You will end up looking at some very nice bottoms at some point, try to remember then when faced with no.9
    10. There are as many insane cyclists are there are insane motorists and pedestrians - try to be sane!
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cree LED lights are superb - I tried them out after seeing them recommended on this forum and initially didn't believe they could be any good for their cheap price. I've experimented quite a bit with different Cree lights but settled on Ultrafire 502N's with the Cree XML-U2 LED and powered by a single 18650 battery. I use a single one on the dim setting for my hybrid and use a pair (one on the bike, one on the helmet) for night time mountain biking. It's a bit of hassle initially getting 18650 batteries and charger as they're not that widely available plus there's quite a few to be avoided but it's worth it as their performance is very good and it's easy to carry spares.

Also padded shorts are awesome, I didn't even consider them initially as I prefer wearing loose clothes (too skinny) but a friend insisted I should wear them and could put them on under other shorts. I took their advice and wore them under my normal shorts for my first longer run on the bike and I was so grateful for the advice as they made such a difference.

John
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Humphrey10 wrote: »
    Could you not just get a smaller bike (frame)?
    I couldn't at the time, due to where I was living. It was a 20 mile drive to the nearest town/bike shop, that had one cycle to try. Several towns later, each with one bike (max) to try, and searching online - but wanting to "try a bike out", I finally found a bike that'd "do" and that was in stock in one town..... so I bought it as you can't keep searching forever.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thelawnet wrote: »
    This is why I like cycling with my daughter on her bike seat. Great fun overtaking people on road bikes.

I take my cycling quite seriously despite only having a mountain bike with slick tyres and wearing an old tee shirt and track suit bottoms. I do enjoy the challenge of taking on seriously attired road bikers when I come accross them, but what you have to realise is that some of them will be on very long training routes (possibly over 100 miles). So obviously they will be pacing themselves, whereas I only do 20 mile sprints and I am guessing that you aren't doing much in the way of distances either if you have your daughter with you.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • eloheloh
    Options
    kwmlondon wrote: »
    5. Don't drink and cycle, any crime committed on bike can be the same as driving a car - you can lose your driving license.

No that's not true.
  • eloheloh
    Options
    I take my cycling quite seriously despite only having a mountain bike with slick tyres and wearing an old tee shirt and track suit bottoms. I do enjoy the challenge of taking on seriously attired road bikers when I come accross them, but what you have to realise is that some of them will be on very long training routes (possibly over 100 miles). So obviously they will be pacing themselves, whereas I only do 20 mile sprints and I am guessing that you aren't doing much in the way of distances either if you have your daughter with you.

I've done 30 miles, but not at much pace. ;)

But often I'm just going a mile or so, and it's a minor diversion from the journey.
  • Big_G_RC
    Big_G_RC Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Always ride with a smile on your face! (Graeme Street)

the more you cycle the more you'll want to cycle. Some days I really struggle to put on my cycling gear and get the bike out of the garage, but within minutes I'm feeling so happy. You don't have to be super fast on the bike to have fun.

Merino base layers (as said before) are amazing. £40 might seem a lot, but they are so worth it.

Properly gloves, shoes and shorts (ie you contact points to the bike) will make cycling more enjoyable. No numb bums or fingers. Saying that all the correct clothing/gear will make it more enjoyable. I got minor frostbite cycling in 2deg weather in feb this year. After that I bought a merino base layer, windproof jacket, full finger gloves and overshoes.

Clipless pedals and shoes make a massive difference on the climbs and also prevent you putting your knees into awkward angles reducing injury risk. Everyone falls off once. Just try not to do it at the traffic lights like I did in front of loads of cars :( unclip early. It becomes 2nd nature soon after. cycling shoes have a firm sole which transfers the power to the pedals more efficiently.

nothing beats heading out on the bike on a sunny day with all your summer gear on having the sun on your face and the wind in your hair :) just go out and have fun :)
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eloheloh wrote: »
    I've done 30 miles, but not at much pace. ;)

But often I'm just going a mile or so, and it's a minor diversion from the journey.

Every little bit helps, I could easily go faster if I got a lighter road bike, but I consider it more efficient to knacker myself out quicker on a heavier bike. Afterall for me its about fitness not racing.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure