Any experience of tradecareer.co.uk

Options
sometime last month i applied for information from this website about there courses this Tuesday i received a phone call from them and asked if i would mind if somebody came round to see me with information on there courses, i agreed and made an appointment for Thursday, on the Thursday she arrived promptly at the agreed time and proceeded to interview me for a possible place on a number of courses, one being a renewable energy's course which she sold quite effectively, she apparently could only put 5 people forward for this course from each area, but failing that there were also other lesser academic courses available, i was in no way prepared for a proper interview so don't see how i would of interviewed too greatly, but regardless i received a phone call from her today Friday saying she was very pleased with our interview and after referring with her colleagues at the collage she would be happy to offer me a place on the more advanced renewable energy's course which would give me a qualification in plumbing, electrics, and lastly a renewable energy engineer, but her only days for registration are tomorrow (Saturday) or Monday before she leaves the area to interview possibles in other parts of uk, i agreed to see her again on Monday at this point she proceeded to tell me that there would be a registration fee of around £100, there would be full funding for the course but i would have to start repayments of £36 a week from 6 -7 weeks after registration. for the length of the course which is upto 3yrs, so there asking in total for around £5500 - £6k for the whole course, at first it all sounded great with the possibility of earning upward of £80k per year after the 3 year course, but then doubt started sinking in, "what if its all just a scam? " anyway my question here has anybody had any experience with this company? is it to be trusted, or are they just after my money with no real reward

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 April 2019 at 11:21AM
    Options
    Don't do it.

Call my syndical, but it smacks at a really {Edited by Forum Team} course.

Seriously don't do it.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    The website is registered to an advertising company, so that would make me think twice.

Also at least one of their testimonials appears word for word on another training website - so one of them is copying the other.
  • Greg4840
    Options
    sites such as tradecareer.co.uk that use illegal spam mailings to advertise are hardly likely to offer legitimate courses. Avoid these sites and simply report them on sites such as this so that others dont get lured in
  • fart
    fart Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    ALL these trade training courses are worthless without on-site experience, which is notoriously difficult to get. Complete, 100% waste of money unless you can gain employment in the area you wish to train in which will allow you to complete the 'on site' work required. If you can't complete the on-site part, your training will not be considered completed and you won't get any qualification at all.
  • manninas11
    Options
    Hi I have just had some come out to me today about the training base for electrician. But am not sure whether to go for it. The website doesn't tell much and the man that came didnt leave a number any details or nothing. What does anyone think??
    Thanks
  • notlikely_2
    Options
    Hey did you have any further experience with tradecareer? My partner has been contacted by someone and had an interview even though she thought she was only getting more information.

I'm a bit dubious and it all sounds too good to be true but then again maybe you have had more experience with them and can advise otherwise?
  • saintjammyswine
    saintjammyswine Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Options
    Basically dont bother. At all. Please.

Go to your local FE College and ask them about the courses. They will be able to provide you with course information, stats on success rates and progression routes (where people went after). They will also be able to advise on funding available depending on your circumstances so you may not have to pay at all. If you do have to pay I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds dodgy . They say they have funding but want you to pay it back. If they have funding you shouldn't have to pay it. Stay well clear of it .
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also bit strange she will sign you up and then she will disappear so no way of contacting her most likely.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• duppie1980
    Options
    Hello all.

I made an application to this and a number of other coares one veening then i was contacted bk 3 days after by someone on the phone who sounded quite educated and had a pre interview on the phone.

It sounded all official and no alarm bells were ringing at this time.
    He asked me on the phone what my motivation was for the coarse to which i replied "My family" etc.

I explained i have a child and serious partner and she is my inspiration for wanting to achieve more from life.
    They seemed to pick up on this note and for some reason wanted her to be present at the interview.

I asked her and she said yes she would attend with me.
    An interview was booked for the very next morning at 10am.

About an hour later she called me and said something doesn't seem right and the moment she did i felt the exact same thing.
    I was baffled at how i didn't notice it at the time i spoke to him myself and can only put it down to the fact i had 3 call backs from jobs that day so my shields was down, so to speak.

I decided i would attend the interview and that she would NOT be present.
    A 55 year old black man called Victor attended my house about 10 mins late and i invited him in. (Totally forgot to ask for his I.D)

He sat with me for around 1.5 hours and asked me a number of questions about why i wanted to do the coarse, what i have been doing with my life and while he seemed a nice guy something about the process was just not sitting right with me.

He wanted my partner there with me and tbh i am still not sure why, i did ask him and he told me it was to see if we as a couple had a stable enough living environment to be able to sustain a coarse like this as they have many students who do not complete the coarse.

After 1.3 hours he showed me a 10 min dvd about the coarse and it seems the majority of it is done from your own home on your pc/laptop.

When i saw this i relised that he was basically a salesman and not the college careers adviser he proclaimed to be.

He then booked me another visit for this coming Saturday so he could meet with my partner and discuss things further.
    He left no paperwork, said i have his number because he called me this morning (which he did while standing outside my property) and then shook my hand and said goodbye.

After he left i checked the net and found post and after reading i decided that all my fears were true.

They may well offer the training at a cost per week but i highly doubt any good would come of this.
    Its all done at home and he said if you LIKE you can book to come into there training center for upto 2 weeks at a time.

I will text him in a while to cancel Saturdays visit and would advise anyone else who is considering this company to do the same.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback