We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What happens when you close a credit/debit account?

Options
2»

Comments

• dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    what I dont understand is why car companies ask that you destroy your card once cancelled. Surely it's completely null and void and essentially becaomes a piece of plastic with your name on

Except that in certain places it can still be used....

Try using a old card on the toll roads in France & Spain..... You could be in for a shock.

Also many renewal cards still have the same number, just change the exp and cvv.
    So you could take a good guess at the new exp date and it would be usable.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    dalesrider wrote: »
    Except that in certain places it can still be used....

Try using a old card on the toll roads in France & Spain..... You could be in for a shock.

Also many renewal cards still have the same number, just change the exp and cvv.
    So you could take a good guess at the new exp date and it would be usable.

I see,
    I've haven't had a card expire yet!
  • loveandlight
    loveandlight Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 May 2013 at 4:32PM
    Options
    originally posted iAMaLONDONER
    These days I guess credit is much harder to get lool!

No way. Credit was way harder to get back then. In fact if you had a credit card people were impressed by it because everyone knew how hard it was to get credit. Before credit cards came out people would look down on you if you were in debt so you didn't tell many people as you were too embarassed to.

I still have one of the very first cashpoint cards that Lloyds issued and I still carry it around in my card holder even though its over 30 years old now!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I bet a single pound was actually quite useful in those days!

When I started work, 5 years after that, I got just 16, for a whole week's work. :(
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    When I started work, 5 years after that, I got just 16, for a whole week's work. :(

Wow - these days 16 quid can't even buy you lunch in a fancy London restaurant!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure