Britannia Building Society & ID

Options
I am having a real tussle with Britannia BS at present. I have for over 25 years banked with them (in their various previous guises for convenience as much as anything else). About 6 weeks ago they started asking for ID when withdrawing cash. This came out of the blue. They will effectively only accept a passport or a photocard driving licence. Neither of which I have. They have suggested a letter from the tax office (less than 6 months old), benefits letter, etc. Again none of which I have. I have my employment security card which has my photo and name on, a wage slip which has my name, address and NI number on, and old style driving licence (I don't drive and therefore do not need to upgrade to a photocard at present) but to no avail. I have exchanged letters and numerous phone calls. Finally this evening the complaints department suggested that as it was making me uphappy that I perhaps take my business elsewhere. I intend to write to the chief executive and in due course get in touch with the financial ombudsman. Whilst I understand the need for security and am willing to comply, I can't comply with their list (and I know plenty of others in the same boat).

Is anyone else having the same problem with either Britannia or anywhere else or suggestions on what I can do.

Comments

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    Use an ATM?
  • Alison69
    Alison69 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I can't as the type of account does not allow it and I am afraid ATMs are not secure and cause more trouble than they are worth (family have had terrible problems with wrong amounts and the tussle to get funds reimbursed - different bank). It also looks as though without the 'set in stone' ID I can't open up any other account either. Whilst appreciate security there has to be some common sense applied surely.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get a photocard driving licence? It'll cost you £50 (cheaper than a passport) but you seem to have ruled out other options.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence
  • Alison69
    Options
    I don't see why I should spend £50 (which I can't really afford to waste) on something which I don't actually need. I've had a look and this is only possible using a credit or debit card. Yet another brick wall. I have made lots of suggestions (I have lived in the same house for over 40 years as well) but to no avail. I worked in the financial industry for over 20 years for some large organisations and I know there is some flexibility for cases such as mine. I cannot understand why Britannia are being so difficult, especially as I have been with them for over 25 years. I even suggested putting a cap on how much could be withdrawn as another possibility but everything I suggest gets a 'our systems can't do this'.
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is quite ridiculous how difficult it is getting to open and use bank accounts. Both my wife and myself have problems opening accounts with some institutions. Neither of us have passports and my wife does not drive, my licence is paper only. I even went so far as to get a photo-card provisional driving licence for my wife; not to drive but for ID purposes, however I was quite astounded to be told by one building society that it had to be a full licence and provisional would not do, so it appears that you need to pass a driving test as well to open some accounts!

The stupid thing is that the con men of this world have no problems they just forge documents or steal from others all this over the top ID security does is inconvenience honest people.

It is madness that you would have to spend £50 on a licence just to access an account.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will find other places becoming similarly strict. This kind of cash withdrawal presents a higher likelihood of fraud for the bank, thus the strict ID requirements. I have neither a driving licence or a passport, and have experienced similar problems in the past, but don't have the same reluctance to use ATMs. Many banks have been moving away from even allowing counter withdrawals, unless it is with a bank card and PIN number.

Local credit union?
  • Alison69
    Options
    I am waiting for one more phone call tomorrow in the hope they might see sense. I have the name and address of the chief executive so that will be my next step. Once 8 weeks have elapsed I will take it to the financial ombudsman. The stupid thing is the type of ID each establishment will take. Most will take a paper driving licence so why won't Britannia. It's not rocket science.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I perhaps take my business elsewhere.

So they'd allow you to close the account without the identification they require?
  • realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some of Britannia's accounts are pass book based, others aren't. Is this account one of the latter and if so do you have a different, pass book based account with them? The pass book hidden signature (visible under UV light) could maybe used to verify your ID?
    Ethical moneysaver
  • Alison69
    Options
    Yes it is a passbook and yes it has the hidden signature. That has always been fine but now they say it's not enough. After another 2 evenings of tussling with them they now say that they recognise an old style paper driving licence but it would still be up to each branch to decide whether to accept it or not. I was told that one branch might but the next might not. I cannot believe the inconsistency between branches and head office. I was effectively told this evening to go and get a passport. I don't see why I should as I don't want one and don't actually need one. I'm going into branch now to see if I can talk to a manager who might actually apply some common sense. I'm not hopeful as the head office doesn't seem to realise how farcical this situation has become.

I have contacted the Financial Ombudsman and they are willing to take up the case but they have so many that it will be 4-6 months before they can even start looking at it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure