Death and Inheritance

Options
Hi there.

I am looking for some advice regarding my flat and a joint ownership I have with my grandma.

Gran and I bought the flat together and we are both named on the deeds and the mortgage, which I pay entirely as I work and she does not. We have had ownership less than a year, but we have both lived there for several years, with my self moving there to look after granny in her advancing years since she broke her hip. It is an ex-council flat.

Unfortunately gran has gotten very ill in the last few weeks and it has been mentioned that some distant relatives are looking to have their children (two of grans other grand kids) somehow inherit the flat, or at least her share of it.

As the flat purchase is a recent event I have not quite gotten my Will done, and neither has gran as we were going to do it at the same time. She is now in hospital and is not really in a fit state to think straight enough to write a Will.

At this time, I am rather stressed and have a lot on my mind as you can imagine, so the thought of being turfed out of my own home or be in any doubt as to my future security is the last thing I need!

Gran has a son, (my uncle) and his two other children (her grand kids), one in USA, and one in UK. I have no parents or brothers/sisters. Just gran.

Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to check what kind of ownership you have -

"tenants in common" - this means that each of you owns a share of the house. If your Gran died without a will, half of her share would go to her living son and half would go to you.

"joint tenants" - this means you both own all the house. When one of you dies, the other owns the whole property. The flat won't become part of the deceased's estate.
  • Simulacraton
    Simulacraton Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's very helpful, thank you!

We have a joint tenants mortgage.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's very helpful, thank you!

We have a joint tenants mortgage.

Make sure you're registered as joint tenants on the Land Registry documentation.

https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/guides/public-guide-18#guide-mark-7
  • MotownFox
    MotownFox Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Another point to consider. Was the flat purchased with Grandma done with a discount taken off because she was an existing tenant? Or had you both been tenants? If so as you only bought it a year ago you will need to read any small print on the documentation in case you have to pay any of the discount back if she dies within a certain period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure