PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is It Possible???

Options
Hallo MSEs
Something has just occured to me, what is to prevent an estate agent from actually putting through your telephone offer, (you are not physically infront of the agent) you make on a property.
say the property is £100,000 and you put in an offer of £90,000, to start with by phone, the agent says they will talk to the vendor and get back to you, they then wait 10 min or so (Not actually calling the vendor, probably finger drumming on their desks) and saying the offer was rejected, to get you to put in a higher offer, i guess to get more for themselves????
Do you think am thinking too hard???
Opinions, experiences please share :confused:

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As in all walks of life, there are bound to be some rogues, so it can't simply be ruled out.

However, the Agent is acting for the seller and in order to do a proper job, he/she would have to tell the seller that there had been an offer. It's in most contracts that the Agent WILL inform the seller.

In my experience, having been a buyer & a seller on more than one occasion, I've never thought that the agents I've dealt with have been unscrupulous like this. If you try to build a relationship with the Agent, you can normally form a judgment as to whether you trust them, or not.

As a seller, when I was contacted with an offer, I asked the Agent whether they thought I should hold out for a higher offer - invariably, it was suggested that they ask if the buyer was prepared to go to £x, to secure the sale.

I don't think the practice you describe is widespread - just my view, based on my own experience
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    The only situation in which I could see this happening is if the vendor has told the agent he doesn't want to be bothered with calls telling him about by offers he would definitely refuse under a certain amount.

And even then, it would be an unusual agent who didn't pass on an offer put persistently, even if it was below the specified amount.But the agent might try to ratchet it up a bit first.Agents after all don't want to annoy their client, the vendor, who might go off to another agent if he got sufficiently irritated.

But equally they want to encourage buyers.The more people going around trying it on with offers seen as silly, the more you could see such a situation arising. What would you do in a case like this?
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • jqy
    jqy Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks editor,
    That's encouraging, we now live in a world that can be viscious (especially if there is targets to be met???) and even things i would never have thought about are a possible now, either that or i am being paranoid. lets hope it never gets to that- cheers
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know for an absolute fact it happens.

A mate of mine offered 90 grand for his girlfriends uncles house (£100000 price tag) they said yes as it was family.

So he phoned the agents but didnt say he was family he just said I'll offer 90, they phoned back a bit later saying the offer was declined.

Confused thinking they had hanged their mind he phoned the uncle, who said he never had a call off them.

Estate agents are lazy scheming gits second only to lawyers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure