Very account purchase query

Options
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong place - I put it here because it is a question about a credit account but it is also to do with shopping.

I need to buy a bra for my wedding dress and have found the exact style and size I want. Next and Amazon stock it but don't have my size however I have found it on Very and at a reduced price :T

I haven't bought from Very before and when I added the item it asked me to sign in to pay but as a new user I have to register first. My query is this - if I register online does that automatically mean I am applying for a credit account (which I don't want) or do I have the option after registering whether to sign up for a credit account or pay by debit card (I want to do the latter). Really want (and need) this bra soon but don't want to apply for a credit account. I would probably be accepted but I don't see the need to open such an account just for this when I have the means to pay now.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

Comments

• raverbhoy
    raverbhoy Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there . I have a very account and my memory ain't too great i really cant remember if i applied for the credit account or if it just happened as i signed up but this may help a little.

I pretended to add something to basket on my account there and got to the payment page and at the bottom right it said this.

Looking to pay now?

As an account customer you can still use the following options:

Pay with a credit or debit card.

So it definitly offers payment up front but just unsure if it automatically starts a credit account or not sorry!
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you register online it does automatically open a credit account.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There has to be some bonus code around for opening a credit account there.
  • katieb168
    katieb168 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the quick replies, it is much appreciated. Shame they automatically create a credit account - a bit sneaky really as it doesn't say this when you go to register, at least I couldn't see it anyway. Think I'll keep searching and buy elsewhere.

Many thanks
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Katie,

It might have changed as I opened a Very account about 5 years ago (and since closed), but when mine was opened rather than taking an 'online signature' they sent a credit agreement to be signed and returned.

I shredded the agreement and paid on credit card and my credit reference file only showed a search the credit account was never fully opened 9as the agreement wasn't returned.
  • DunPin
    DunPin Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    katieb168 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the quick replies, it is much appreciated. Shame they automatically create a credit account - a bit sneaky really as it doesn't say this when you go to register, at least I couldn't see it anyway. Think I'll keep searching and buy elsewhere.

Many thanks
    How is it sneaky when they say the following before opening an account:
    1. Take advantage of our Very Account (we think it’s a bit special!)
    2. Use your first credit order discount – bonus!
    3. Take 3: split your payments over 3 months WITH NO INTEREST!
    4. Flexible monthly payments from the minimum payment to the total balance!
    5. Choose to pay nothing for up to 12 months with Buy Now Pay Later

For access to all this loveliness – APPLY NOW!

It is clear that it is a credit account and they are not being sneaky.
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    katieb168 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Many thanks
    If they don't have your size you can go one size up and a cupsize down. If you are a 36D you should be able to wear a 38C.
    Good luck with the nuptials.
  • katieb168
    Options
    Hi Dunpin,

I appreciate that is mentioned, but my point was that it wasn't clear to me whether a credit account will be opened on registration automatically or whether you have the option to pay by a different means after you have registered on their site. That's why I came on here to ask to be sure.

Thanks everyone for your replies, like I said before I don't want to apply for a credit account so I'm going to see if I can find it elsewhere.

Thanks again
  • katieb168
    Options
    Hi Snooks,

That's great advice, thank you! Will give it a go

Many thanks
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DunPin wrote: »
    It is clear that it is a credit account and they are not being sneaky.

With most online stores you can order items without having to sign up for a credit account.

For example, Argos' pushes their credit account on virtually every page of their website, but punters can still buy without opening one.

With Very, it's not very clear that by opening an account you're actually applying for credit and will be credit checked.

Their T&C's are huge and I think it's unreasonable to expect a casual shopper, who just wants to make a one-off purchase, to read all 12,000+ words of them, which span fourteen A4 pages of small, tight, text.

IIRC you do tick a box to confirm you're applying for a credit account, but that's later on during the sign up process, after you've already given them lots of person information.

So, I think it is a bit sneaky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport