MSE News: House prices moving upwards, Nationwide says

edited 1 May 2013 at 11:01AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
14 replies 2.2K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen Former MSE
2.4K Posts
edited 1 May 2013 at 11:01AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
"Prices rose by 0.9% year-on-year in April, taking the average house price to £165,586, says Nationwide..."
Read the full story:

House prices moving upwards, Nationwide says

OfficialStamp.gif

This thread is not in the 'discuss house prices and economy board' as that is only open to those logged into the forum so anyone coming from the news story may not be able to see it.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would have expected more sales in April anyway (busier time generally) - would be more interested to compare the whole year with the year before it.

Jx
    2021 wins: noise cancelling headphones
  • DRPDRP Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Would have expected more sales in April anyway (busier time generally) - would be more interested to compare the whole year with the year before it.

Jx

in my area (south central bristol) asking prices in popular areas/streets are up to ~10% higher and the same last year too.

Frustrating! :eek:
  • edited 1 May 2013 at 12:22PM
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    edited 1 May 2013 at 12:22PM
    DRP wrote: »
    in my area (south central bristol) asking prices in popular areas/streets are up to ~10% higher and the same last year too.

Frustrating! :eek:

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till Help to Buy for house buyers and Funding for Lending for buy to let landlords comes into force.

You're gonna have a surge of new buyers and upsizers competing with state backed property investors for very little housing supply.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • neiluk111neiluk111 Forumite
    22 Posts
    What it actually said was April down 0.1% after a flat March.

But the headlines have picked out the annual figure

Don't believe all you read in the press!
  • neiluk111 wrote: »
    What it actually said was April down 0.1% after a flat March.

But the headlines have picked out the annual figure

Don't believe all you read in the press!

But Year on Year the figures are increasing each month.

Certainly around my way in the South East, house prices are well above the 2008 highs. Other parts of the country dont seem to be faring so well

The government schemes coming in in 2014 should help FTBs buy thier own places and push prices up.

Finally the government is doing something to help hard pressed FTBs
  • geoffkygeoffky Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    harpoboy wrote: »

The government schemes coming in in 2014 should help FTBs buy thier own places and push prices up.

What can go wrong!! History being repeated...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • SG27SG27 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    harpoboy wrote: »

Certainly around my way in the South East, house prices are well above the 2008 highs. Other parts of the country dont seem to be faring so well

Are you having a laugh!? You're obviously not a first time buyer. Or if you are you are very stupid!
  • The_ThrillaThe_Thrilla Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    geoffky wrote: »
    What can go wrong!! History being repeated...

I know house prices have crashed before, but this time it's different.

Best time to buy is when the price has gone up.:D
  • harpoboy wrote: »

How do hard pressed FTBs benefit from prices going up?
  • hanlou007hanlou007 Forumite
    99 Posts
    Maybe its about time that estate agents start valuing houses correctly instead of giving higher values just to get sellers custom.....

Seen an awful lot of houses in my area SOLD then back on the market within a few days....is this down to people trying to get more money knocked off or that they cant get a mortgage because the house is not actually worth what the estate agent/seller think????
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides