We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Shortfall on my endowments - help needed if possible.

Had a chat on another thread last night (about feeling panicky) and one of the suggestions was to get help sorting out my endowment.

I've got all the info I think I need - the only thing was I was going to try to read all the info on my own to see if I could sort it out myself but at the 1st step I've come across that you have to act either 6 years or 3 years from the policy start - We started our policies in 1992 and 1991


I have 2 endowments

1 is for 30k which matures Nov 2012 - L+G

1 is for £5,850 which matures FEB 2013 - S LIFE


I don't hold out much hope as I think I have left it too late.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
«1

Comments

  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    When did you receive your "red warning" letter for each policy?

    Please advise

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • ManicPanic
    ManicPanic Posts: 12 Forumite
    In front of me I have a Red Alert:High risk of shortfall for the S Life dated Yearly Statement Feb 2007 and Amber Alert June 2006 for L+G.
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    You are OK to take action on the SL policy.

    Do you have any previous correspondence about the L&G policy indicating a Red Alert?

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • ManicPanic
    ManicPanic Posts: 12 Forumite
    Not that I can see in all the stuff I have. We have kept every single bit of paper that has anything to do with our house/mortgage etc - none of it is in date order but looking through them I can't find anything that mentions Red Alert with L+G
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    ManicPanic wrote: »
    Not that I can see in all the stuff I have. We have kept every single bit of paper that has anything to do with our house/mortgage etc - none of it is in date order but looking through them I can't find anything that mentions Red Alert with L+G

    You get three years to complain from the first time that you receive your red alert letter and insurance companies put a time bar on complaints in accordance with this.

    That is not to say that you should still not complain as all insurance companies treat this differently.

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Hello Manic Panic

    You say on the other thread that your mortgage is for 85k, so I assume some of it is on repayment?You are not expecting these two endowments to pay it all off in 6 years' time?

    When you speak of debt, are you just talking about the mortgage, or is there more?

    Post some info about the two endowments, so we can see what might be the best stategy to deal with them (this is in addition to making misselling complaints).

    Guaranteed sum assured
    Declared bonuses
    Monthly premium
    Surrender value ( ring up and ask)
    Maturity date
    Maturity forecasts
    Interest rate payable on the mortgage loan
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • ManicPanic
    ManicPanic Posts: 12 Forumite
    Guaranteed sum assured
    Declared bonuses
    Monthly premium
    Surrender value ( ring up and ask)
    Maturity date
    Maturity forecasts
    Interest rate payable on the mortgage loan

    Hi, no the other part is a repayment mortgage - that's the rest of the amount that makes the 85k - we have never missed a payment but have added over the years.

    We don't have any other debts other than normal everyday living - Poll tax, travel on bus to work, food, tv licence, electricity, gas etc etc.


    L+G Letter dated May, 2006 (latest one I have let me know if I need a more recent one - have looked in the place it's supposed to be but of course it's 1 I can't find)


    Guaranteed sum assured - Total of basic sum assured and annual bonuses to 31 dec 05 - £15, 765.30

    Monthly premium - £38.36 (do you mean how much we pay per month?)

    Surrender value -

    Maturity date - 18.11.2012

    Maturity forecasts -

    Interest rate payable on the mortgage loan -

    Think I need to phone them up and get all of the figures updated - other wise I don't suppose you will be able to help.

    Thanks very much for all the help you have given so far.
  • ManicPanic
    ManicPanic Posts: 12 Forumite
    L+G - letter dated 26 June, 2006

    Projected final amount 4% £24,100 Shortfall £5,900
    6% £27,200 Shortfall £2,800
    8% Surplus £300
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    I know that you have had a lot to do today but can you locate the first "red alert" letters that you have received from both insurance companies and post the dates of both.

    It look like Edinvestor is going to investigate selling the two policies but she will need the information requested before she can say, sell, keep or surrender.

    can you phone up tomorrow and request the outstanding information and then post the information by filling in the blanks on your post.

    Regards

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • ManicPanic
    ManicPanic Posts: 12 Forumite
    Will be on to it 1st thing.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.