PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What does an authentic approved electric and gas certificate look like

Options
Hi

Any idea how I can tell the difference between a fake electrical and gas approval form and the real thing, is there such a thing....
The house I am in the process of buying does not have any certificates therefore I am told these will be made available to me next week, need to know in case they try fobbing me off with some fake certificates, thanks all in advance

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you look at the planning and building regs portal on your local authority website and search for your own house you should see entries for all genuine certificates there. E.g. against my own house I can see FENSA entries for the double-glazing that we've installed, an entry for our boiler installation and entries for various electrical work that we have had done.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April 2013 at 9:47PM
    Options
    [STRIKE]
    OP, do you mean the annual gas safety certificate and an electrical safety certificate?

These won't appear on the LA website.

The LL isn't legally obliged to give you an electrical certificate.

As for the gas certificate, when I was renting the LL's gas safety certificate was a carbonated form, which had a tenant's copy. If yours is a photocopy of another form, and there's evidence that a different address might have been inserted etc, then perhaps there is scope for suspicion.

But what makes you think you'll get a fake certificate anyway?
    [/STRIKE]

Oops :o

Failure to keep up (Thanks G_M ;) ) :o
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yorkie1 wrote: »
    OP, do you mean the annual gas safety certificate and an electrical safety certificate?

These won't appear on the LA website.

The LL isn't legally obliged to give you an electrical certificate.

As for the gas certificate, when I was renting the LL's gas safety certificate was a carbonated form, which had a tenant's copy. If yours is a photocopy of another form, and there's evidence that a different address might have been inserted etc, then perhaps there is scope for suspicion.

But what makes you think you'll get a fake certificate anyway?
    The house I am in the process of buying does not have....
    Come on Yorkie! Keep up!
  • G_M
    Options
    missy12345 wrote: »
    Hi

Any idea how I can tell the difference between a fake electrical and gas approval form and the real thing, is there such a thing....
    The house I am in the process of buying does not have any certificates therefore I am told these will be made available to me next week, need to know in case they try fobbing me off with some fake certificates, thanks all in advance
    Very few owner-occupiers get these inspections done.

At best they might have a GasSafe service done on the boiler, and a decent GasSafe engineer will leave a report which might highlight any issues.

If you get oe of these, check the engineer who issued it is on the GasSafe register.

But if you want an inspection done on the electrics, pay an electrician for a 'Periodic Inspection report'.

http://www.esc.org.uk/public/home-electrics/periodic-inspection-explained/

http://www.esc.org.uk/public/home-electrics/periodic-inspection-explained/
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Come on Yorkie! Keep up!

Ahem :o

Ah ... :o

*Time to slide off to bed, methinks* :o

:)
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But if you want an inspection done on the electrics, pay an electrician for a 'Periodic Inspection report'.

Periodic Inspection Reports (PIR) haven't existed for almost a year and a half!

They were replaced by the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).

Come on G_M! Keep up! ;):D
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • G_M
    Options
    Justicia wrote: »
    Periodic Inspection Reports (PIR) haven't existed for almost a year and a half!

They were replaced by the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).

Come on G_M! Keep up! ;):D

:eek: Hoisted by my own petard!

:dance:

As an owner-occupier I should have discovered this when I had my last annual inspection done...:rotfl:
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :eek: Hoisted by my own petard!

:dance:

As an owner-occupier I should have discovered this when I had my last annual inspection done...:rotfl:

Couldn't resist! :p;):beer:
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure