ATOS again.........

Options
ATOS have ruined my birthday:(

Letter arrived this morning saying OH has to attend another "medical assessment".

Last year they were sent full details of his illnesses with letters from the consultant / surgeon, which basically said that his condition will not improve.

I just can't understand why they keep on calling him back in for these so called medical assessments - they are a complete joke - the questions bear no relation to what is actually wrong with him.

It is all so stressful, is it worth telephoning the DWP and asking them why they think he needs yet another one? Is it all part of their plan to grind you down?

I feel like saying to them shall I just put in my appeal now before he even attends the assessment:mad:

Have also posted this is Disability & Dosh before I get pounced on!!!
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Please don't crosspost.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    Please don't crosspost.

Why though? You get different people on each forum who may have something of value to say.:(

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Why though? You get different people on each forum who may have something of value to say.:(
    It's annoying and spammy. Stop it.
    poppy10
  • melbury
    Options
    poppy10 wrote: »
    It's annoying and spammy. Stop it.

But I am not a spammer, honest guv!

• benefitbaby
    benefitbaby Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    Options
    ATOS have ruined my birthday:(

Letter arrived this morning saying OH has to attend another "medical assessment".

Last year they were sent full details of his illnesses with letters from the consultant / surgeon, which basically said that his condition will not improve.

I just can't understand why they keep on calling him back in for these so called medical assessments - they are a complete joke - the questions bear no relation to what is actually wrong with him.

It is all so stressful, is it worth telephoning the DWP and asking them why they think he needs yet another one? Is it all part of their plan to grind you down?

I feel like saying to them shall I just put in my appeal now before he even attends the assessment:mad:

Have also posted this is Disability & Dosh before I get pounced on!!!

The easy answer is... because they can. The maximum time that the DWP can leave between assessments is 3 years, there is no indeifnate award of ESA.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    If they've got all that information, it could be that they will award it on paper without seeing you. That's what they did with me this time, and awarded it for 2 years.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • bigboybrother
    Options

That was last year.

His medical condition may not have improved, but it is more than possible that his inability to qualify using the ESA descriptors could well have.

No doubt you would be one of the first to accept that the old system of IB, which left people on benefits for years without any real check, failed them.

The general public expect those that claim to be too sick to work should be made to have regular benefit check ups to ensure that the public funds that they are receiving are truly justified.

The questions quite rightly have nothing to do with his condition. His condition is not being tested. What is being tested is his ability to score sufficient points which would signify that he cannot do any type of work.
  • Dovah_diva
    Dovah_diva Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's a bit rich to accuse ATOS of ruining your birthday!! They have done many things, but this really is a step too far.
  • melbury
    Options
    Dovah_diva wrote: »
    I think it's a bit rich to accuse ATOS of ruining your birthday!! They have done many things, but this really is a step too far.

Well I would far rather that the envelope had arrived tomorrow than today. It has been playing on my mind all day, which has somewhat spoilt it.

• melbury
    Options
    That was last year.

His medical condition may not have improved, but it is more than possible that his inability to qualify using the ESA descriptors could well have.

No doubt you would be one of the first to accept that the old system of IB, which left people on benefits for years without any real check, failed them.

The general public expect those that claim to be too sick to work should be made to have regular benefit check ups to ensure that the public funds that they are receiving are truly justified.

The questions quite rightly have nothing to do with his condition. His condition is not being tested. What is being tested is his ability to score sufficient points which would signify that he cannot do any type of work.

I think most people on IB were quite happy to be left alone without checks and of course IB was easy to get and stay on compared with the dreaded ESA. Nobody insisted that they stay on it, if fit for work they could have looked for employment.

The questions are totally irrelevant to a lot of situations, but I guess you just have to play their stupid games.

Person got quite cranky when I said "shall I appeal in advance", so they must know what a load of carp the whole process is.

Surely they should be concentrating their efforts on the long term IB people and not the people on ESA who have been [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE]interrogated[/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE] checked on an extremely regular basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport