Family tree help please.

Options
Hi,

My son downloaded the ancestry app and today I've done nothing else but try and put together our tree.

I'm thinking of getting OH to pay a subscription for me, for my birthday to one of the sites that you view records (how sad am i :o) Can anyone tell me what are the best sites are please.

The census sites look pretty interesting from what I can see but any help would be great :D

I've been on FreeBSD aswell but think I've looked at every person born with our families names. It was helpful but a lot of it isn't solid enough info to know I'm looking at the right people... or there's some dodgy goings on in the families lol.
Even if you stumble, you're still moving forward.

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've spent a lot of time on these sites lately as we've been trying to trace my BF's birth mother. I like ancestry but it is expensive-Genes reunited is a cheaper one and good for the early steps .
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I like Ancestry, I know it's expensive but you can sign up for a 14 day free trial, you have to put your card details in but then cancel before the free trial is up. At least that will give you a taster to see if you want to carry on. You can also pay monthly but that works out more expensive but it's not like paying out a large lump sum.
    Happy searching

Free BMD, UKbmd,family search, are to name a few sites that you can use, also Genes Reunited. There are many more as well.
    I have to say, it get very addictive, I love doing mine.:)
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,308 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    some of the Tree building software comes bundled with a years Ancestry access and is a cheaper way to do a subscription

take a look on ebay
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I use Genes - dont forget Quidco :)
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Ancestry app is pants. To do it properly you'll need a PC or laptop.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In fairness, what is useful depends on where your family tree ends up going.

A friend, who thought he was 100% British found that his great great grandfather (or such) was actually from the middle east and all the sites he had subscribed to were fairly useless for that region of the world.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php is a great, free forum with lots of helpful people who will point you in the right direction and do some look-ups for you.

A lot of libraries have a subscription to Ancestry. I'm using https://www.findmypast.co.uk/ at the moment - I signed up with them when they made the 1911 census available.

Genealogy is an addictive hobby - good luck with your search.
  • Egypt191
    Egypt191 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    It will all depend how far back you can already take your family tree as to whether its worth beginning to subscribe or not.

I've been tracing my family tree on and off for over 20yrs, it started with a school project and escalated from there, so it really is addictive!

All of the websites people have mentioned are good, ancestry (nor will any of the other paid ones) give you any info on birth, marriage or death certificates, these can only be bought, that's why for the basic info free bmd etc are the better starting point.

For census info, find my past is good, as is ancestry, if you do enough searches on the web, each of them offer free trials so you can look at plenty of different years if need be. But census works back from 1911.

I also found genes reunited good, it gets you in touch with other people who may have lines on the same tree as you. Half of my grandmothers tree was filled in on the site, and I had some great chats with her second cousin twice removed :)

As others have said it is addictive, but its great fun! Good luck.
    :)smile :)
  • megan01
    megan01 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    I've spent a lot of time on these sites lately as we've been trying to trace my BF's birth mother. I like ancestry but it is expensive-Genes reunited is a cheaper one and good for the early steps .

This is random, and sorry if I am insulting your intelligence! But have you tried finding your boyfriend on the birth index, his mums maiden name should be on there? And then if you try search her maiden name with his dads name you should find their marriage on the marriage index which is often quite easy to narrow it down, and then that should tell you her full name, and then you can go on 192 dot com and search her full name and see if there are decent results on there. Just wanted to chime in, I'm obsessed with ancestry!
    Save 12k in 2015 challenger NO.128 £0.00/£8000
    House Deposit : £6317.44/£12000.00
    Weight Loss, target: 8st 7lb current:
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am boring MSE wise; I tend to start with the good old basic library research room - many have all the census records for free, some with local indexes (beats the spelling howlers on the 1911 census) LDS and other indexes for free and local parish records as well a papers and local records.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport