Options
2»

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    filigree wrote:
    Garlic, onions, chilli, ginger and peppers.

I can verify that! Yesterday I felt a bit icky, you know like when you can feel the start of a cold coming on, well I made a meal last night which consisted of all the above and today I feel fine! ... all signs of impending cold gone :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have moved this post as its suitable for posting in the Health Board.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    I wanted to provide a more detailed reply to this thread and found the research paper Modulation of Immune Functions by Foods provided in it's conclusion a list of those agents in food which are known to improve the immune system.
    For those who would prefer improve their diets to ensure they maximise their intake of those ingredients most likely to improve their immune system function I've added to this list, the foods which are the major natural sources.
    Glutamine for immune cells and the avoidance of oxidant stress
    Food sources of glutamine include beef, chicken, fish, beans, and dairy products
    Arginine for synthesis of nitric oxide, enhancement of Th cells
    Dietary arginine is found in chocolate, wheat germ and flour, buckwheat, granola, oatmeal, dairy products (cottage cheese, ricotta, nonfat dry milk, skim yogurt), beef , pork (bacon, ham), nuts (coconut, pecans, cashews, walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, hazel nuts, peanuts), seeds (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower), poultry (chicken and turkey light meat), wild game (pheasant, quail), seafood (halibut, lobster, salmon, shrimp, snails, tuna in water), chick peas, and cooked soybeans.
    Fatty acids
    n-3 PUFAsAnti-inflammatory
    Worlds Healthies food Omega pages says Salmon, flax seeds and walnuts are excellent food sources of omega 3 fatty acids.
    You should however be aware that fish sources provide the EPA/DHA omega 3 components in the form the body can use directly whereas flax presents the precusor form ALA which the liver converts to omega 3 ingredients, unfortunately it is estimated that only 5–15% of ALA is ultimately converted to DHA so you will need to consume a lot more than by using fish or fish oil sources.
    Vitamins
    Vitamin A Regulation of Th1/Th2 balance
    What foods provide vitamin A? says Preformed vitamin A is found in animal foods such as whole eggs, whole milk and liver.
    Most fat free milk and dried nonfat milk solids sold in the US are fortified with vitamin A to replace the vitamin A lost when the fat is removed (17). Fortified foods such as fortified breakfast cereals also provide vitamin A. Provitamin A carotenoids are abundant in darkly colored fruits and vegetables. It is important for you to regularly eat foods that provide vitamin A or beta-carotene even though vitamin A is stored in the liver Stored vitamin A will help meet needs when intake of provitamin A carotenoids or preformed vitamin A is low
    Best first:Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Spinach, Mango, Cantaloupe, Kale, Apricot, Oatmeal, Tomato juice,Red Pepper, Peas, Peach Papaya.
    Preserving these foods by canning, bottling freezing doesn’t devalue the Vitamin A content.

Vitamin C Circumvention of oxidant stress
    Citrus fruits, tomatoes, tomato juice, potatoes, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, strawberries, cabbage and spinach
    Vitamin E Circumvention of oxidant stress, anti-inflammatory
    Vegetable oils, unprocessed cereal grains, nuts, fruits, vegetables, meats
    Minerals
    Selenium Stimulation of cell-mediated immune response
    SELENIUM Brazil nuts, Tuna, Beef, Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, Cod ,Turkey, Chicken, Noodles, Macaroni, Egg,Cottage cheese, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Bread,Wholewheat, Walnuts,
    Zinc Stimulation of cell-mediated immune response
    ZINC
    Oysters, Breakfast cereal, fortified, Beef Pork Chicken, yogurt, Baked beans, Cashews, Mixed nuts, dry roasted w/peanuts, Cheese, Almonds, Walnuts, Milk kidneybeans, Peas, Oatmeal,
    Probiotics
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to swear by the Yogi brand of tea bags in health food shops: there's one called Sore Throat Tea which is superb for sore throats, colds, coughs and feeling miserable. They also do a Cold Season Tea which I personally don't like as much but I'm sure it does you good. I've given them up for now because the Licorice in them may be pushing my blood pressure up but I'm sure I'll use them sparingly in future if I need to.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport