super foods

Ok, I have a nasty cold (boo!)
I eat alot of fruit and veg anyway and have dug up my supply of echinicea. My mum used to have this really fab book called 'super foods' that had a list of different foods that were best for your ailment - dont know where it is now though.
Anyone know what best for a cold - aside from oranges...
does chicken soup really work?
Have allocated a bit of my budget this week to buying 'super food' so any suggestions would be very welcome!
I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!

Comments

• malolo
    malolo Posts: 144 Forumite
    If I have a cold I almost always have some chicken soup and it makes me feel better... it could partly be down to the comforting warmth of it, so any kind of soup could probably do the same job, I just haven't tried.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There was a survey done and chicken soup did actally help a cold.

Hot water with lemon and honey is good too as is garlic in meals and plenty of veg.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    I know that Garlic is excellent as it is an antiseptic and antibacterial agent.

Also Zinc and Vitamin C are very good for boosting the immune system - I take the seven seas mxed zinc and vit c caps when I have a cold, and it cuts the time you have the cold in half.

Apparently, Pomegranates are supposed to be good for your immune system also.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    elona wrote:
    There was a survey done and chicken soup did actally help a cold.

It's not known as 'Jewish penicillin' for nothing! :D
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    From personal experience I think peppers/garlic/onions are all good for fighting colds. Plus the obvious high vit c stuff. First sign of a cold I have fresh hot lemon with honey and drink it all day long. Whisky in the last one at night.

found this too - 7 healing foods to fight colds and flu

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/health/ghealth/discon/articles/0,,181033_182190,00.html
  • Mango
    Mango Posts: 167 Forumite
    i found out recently that kiwi fruit has more vit c than oranges/more obvious citrus fruits. and the body absorbes the vit c from kiwi fruit more quickly/easily than it does from oranges....

hope you get better soon!
  • Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    Thanks for all suggestions.. am tucking into my chicken soup this eve!
    - forgot about the whiskey/lemon/hot water combination, it used to make colds positively worth while!
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    fresh root ginger grated to make 'tea'
    lemon juice
    honey
    sage is supposed to be good especially for sore throats. I grow loads of it but im not too sure about the taste of the tea;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Garlic, onions, chilli, ginger and peppers. Great excuse for a curry if you feel up to going out!

I swear by ginger tea:

1 thumb sized piece of root ginger peeled and chopped
    1 clove of garlic peeled and chopped
    1 lemon, rind still on, thinly sliced
    2 mugs of water

Put the lot into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain into a mug and sweeten with a generous teaspoon of honey. The garlic takes a bit of getting used to but the concoction does wonders for sore throats.

Some people find that eating dairy products makes them produce lots of phlegm so you might try cutting out dairy for a couple of days to see if it helps.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Don't use cream of chicken soup though as dairy foods increase the amount of mucus(how can such a small nose hold so much stuff?) you create. :confused:

I always try a steam inhalation - you don't need fancy materials. Just a mug full of very hot water with a crushed menthol sweet will do! Or even just a mug of hot drink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure