Recorded delivery c**k up!!

Options
Hi, I've been buying on ebay for a couple of years now and not had any problems.....till now! I bought a couple of DVD's but havent received them. I contacted the seller who says these were sent recorded delivery on 7/4/05. She has tracked them and apparently I was out when RM tried to deliver but they left a card. No they didnt. Without the card I cant go and pick up the package - the sorting office is huuuuuge and they're strict about this. What do I do? The seller suggests I track this item myself and has helpfully provided the tracking number. I've suggested that if I dont collect the packet it will be returned to her and she can then repost it - I do realise though that this will cost her money. Who's right?
~A mind is a terrible thing to waste on housework~

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you call or visit the sorting office and ask them to attempt another delivery? This way, you are not asking to collect the parcel with no card - they are simply being asked to attempt to complete the original transaction i.e. to deliver to the specified address.

Yes - after a while, a Recorded Delivery item will be returned to the sender, if not delivered.

No point in you tracking the item - you know where it is and it's not where it should be! ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with above post. My post office you can just phone up and they will arrange for another delivery date. Failing that contact the sorting office, preferabley by phone, speak to who is in charge pointing out that the postman was at fault for not leaving a card, and ask if you bring proof of who you are / where you stay etc can you collect it ?
  • biblejohn
    biblejohn Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar problem with some items i sent recorded delivery a few months back. Postman didnt put a card through the door, item came back to me as "not being collected".

Luckily the items hadnt cost me anything, so re-shipped at my expense to the customer meaning i made zero profit on the items, but had a happy customer and positive feedback.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a similar one.... seller paid for recorded delivery (I normally post with Proof of Postage) buyer contacts me and says no delivery...I forget it was recorded and search my proof of postage slips no sign of it obviously.....lots of grovelling and humble apologies on my part...feeling guilty on I post out again but include two of the item too keep buyer happy..........recorded turns up at my door a month later....contact the guy and ask what he wants me to do with it (still clueless that I have sent replacements).......he tells me he has them....now I am totally confused (system has obviusly big holes in it).

Anyway buyer eventually informs me that he has had half a dozen posties in jeans and t-shirts over the last few months and they are clueless. He never got a note through the door.

That was over easter when about 4-6 items went awol just the same as at Xmas.
  • chugalug
    chugalug Posts: 969 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I'd love to phone and check if I can collect the item but no-one answers the phone. I could just go down there on the offchance but boy what a lot of hassle. Trying to find a parking space, pay £1.50 for 20mins or risk a ticket etc etc. As luck would have it the seller is being very reasonable so shall see what happens!!
    ~A mind is a terrible thing to waste on housework~
  • Lally
    Lally Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I received a card on Saturday, it says you can arrange to have it redelivered or else sent to a local post office for a 50p charge. If its Recorded Delivery and its not collected within a week then it is supposedly sent back to the sender. All other items are held for 3 weeks.

You need to take in ID to collect it. Maybe if you went down with just the ID they would hand it over? I would make sure its photographoc ID in this case though.
  • superfurry
    superfurry Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Stop your postman, and DEMAND a recorded delivery note off him ( which you should have had) - assuming it's the same postie. He should at least check in the depot for you. Ask for a re- delivery.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lally wrote:
    Maybe if you went down with just the ID they would hand it over? I would make sure its photographoc ID in this case though.

That's done this for me, I usually take my driving licence as it's got my address on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure