Dog Collars

I cant seem to find any I like from the places I usually buy from.

Figured it might be worth asking on here if you guys have any favourite places for nice dog collars?

Trying for pink, purple (or even red). I try to stay away from collars that are too "butch" as I have a SBT and found after switching from a black leather collar to a pink one, nearly everyone is willing to have her come over to them and give her a clap. You still get the odd person who just sees/hears "staffy" and seem to ignore her smiling at them, wagging her whole body etc but meh, what can you do.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Comments

• littlesnuggy
    littlesnuggy Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    If you just want a plain collar, we've had this Ancol nylon one for two years (it's slightly darker purple though) and it still looks as good as new
    http://www.petsdirect.co.uk/Dog-Collars-Nylon-Dog-Collars/c6_13/p646/Ancol-Heritage-Purple-Nylon-Dog-Collar/product_info.html

I haven't used that website before, but looks pretty cheap & has free delivery.

Just seen this one, which might fit the bill http://www.petsdirect.co.uk/Dog-Collars-Nylon-Dog-Collars/c6_13/p3826/Dog-&-Co-Pink-Reflective-Nylon-Padded-Dog-Collar/product_info.html
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ancol do a good selection you can get them in loads of places. My girl has this one I like it because its girly and a bit butch too!! :rotfl: ;)

http://www.petsdirect.co.uk/Dog-Collars-Nylon-Dog-Collars/c6_13/p654/Ancol-Urban-Combat-Lilac-Adjustable-Dog-Collar/product_info.html
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I guess it depends, do you walk her on it (so need a strong one) or use a harness? Do you like clip ones or buckles? I use Strong Stuff who handmakes all of his collars & leads & they are so strong no dog could break one but too uncomfy for indoors IMO, I use Ditsy Pet who make nice plastic snap clip nylon ones, El Perro who made a fleece padded nylon buckle up one in 2 shades of purple which is 1 1/4 inch width & would look fab in light & dark pink, also have one with owls from Hound Stuff.

I tend to use people who make their own or can do custom ones. I have a Staffie x & indoors use a nylon collar with the plastic snap clip but outside walk her on a harness & use a buckle up El Perro or Strong Stuff one.
  • niandsa
    niandsa Posts: 188 Forumite
    I've heard good things about Red Dingo collars and leads. I will probably get my dog's next one from them. They do some lovely patterns as well as plain colours.
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Definitely go for dog games collars, most comfortable collar for a dogs neck I'd say :)

They have a sale on, collars from £5 :)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I guess it depends, do you walk her on it (so need a strong one) or use a harness? Do you like clip ones or buckles? I use Strong Stuff who handmakes all of his collars & leads & they are so strong no dog could break one but too uncomfy for indoors IMO, I use Ditsy Pet who make nice plastic snap clip nylon ones, El Perro who made a fleece padded nylon buckle up one in 2 shades of purple which is 1 1/4 inch width & would look fab in light & dark pink, also have one with owls from Hound Stuff.

I tend to use people who make their own or can do custom ones. I have a Staffie x & indoors use a nylon collar with the plastic snap clip but outside walk her on a harness & use a buckle up El Perro or Strong Stuff one.

Thaks everyone for the replies. I've not had time to check out any of the suggestions yet but I'm just about to :D

Tbh she's not much of a puller but she has a plastic clip one atm and i'm always dubious about whether it will hold or not because despite being small (even for her breed), she is deceptively strong. Or rather that idea was put in my head by a couple I met at the pets store who said they had a staffy and the clip had broken!

She does get walked on her collar though, not a harness (heard mixed reviews from people about harnesses). But it does get removed in the house as she generally sleeps in her crate.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thaks everyone for the replies. I've not had time to check out any of the suggestions yet but I'm just about to :D

Tbh she's not much of a puller but she has a plastic clip one atm and i'm always dubious about whether it will hold or not because despite being small (even for her breed), she is deceptively strong. Or rather that idea was put in my head by a couple I met at the pets store who said they had a staffy and the clip had broken!

She does get walked on her collar though, not a harness (heard mixed reviews from people about harnesses). But it does get removed in the house as she generally sleeps in her crate.

Personally for walks i'd never use a plastic clip one, they can slide looser with any pressure & also come undone. Red Dingo collars are nice but too narrow & only suitable for indoors for a Staffie. I prefer a harness as they are less likely to be slipped & also no pressure or damage to the dogs neck, if a puller some will pull more unless you get a harness for stopping that but mine doesn't pull & a harness is perfect.

I would definitely use a strong buckle collar for walks & then change to a clip one indoors if you need something more comfy/more likely to undo if caught etc but this is just my experience & opinions of course. Any pics?
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    I cant seem to find any I like from the places I usually buy from.

Figured it might be worth asking on here if you guys have any favourite places for nice dog collars?

Trying for pink, purple (or even red). I try to stay away from collars that are too "butch" as I have a SBT and found after switching from a black leather collar to a pink one, nearly everyone is willing to have her come over to them and give her a clap. You still get the odd person who just sees/hears "staffy" and seem to ignore her smiling at them, wagging her whole body etc but meh, what can you do.

One of our dogs wears a pink leather collar (with silver bones on it) for that very reason! She looks a bit like a big fox (shes ginger and white with big ears and bushy tail) and I found some people seemed to be afraid of her although she's a daft soppy thing :)

I found that collar in B & M for about £3 or £4
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    My local dog groomer makes collars and bandanas and sells them in the shop and online. I went in with Bob last week and had a look and they are so lovely and soft.
    Sadly as I bought Bob a collar last time I didn't get one this time, but they are the most unusual collars I've ever seen and he'll be getting on at his next groom.

https://www.facebook.com/DivineCollars?fref=ts
  • Nordman
    Nordman Posts: 16 Forumite
    Probably not much use but our local indoor market has a surprisingly good range and the prices are competitive. Maybe you should check out your local stalls?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure