more poa

aloise Forumite Posts: 608
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
I am in the process of trying to get POA for myself and dh. The prices vary so much. I have been quoted as much as £700 for the 2 of us. I have been told that it should be about £130 each. There is a site on-line WM power of attorney specialists. They charge £90 +vat per poa. Has anybody heard of these and are they reliable.


  • dzug1
    dzug1 Forumite Posts: 13,535
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2013 at 8:15PM
    You can do the whole thing yourselves by downloading the forms and an information pack from the OPG website

    Then the only thing to pay is the OPG fees

    You will need someone (possibly two people - read the guidance) to certify that you understand what you are doing - you can either pay a professional or use a trusted friend

    I would guess (hope) that the £700 quote includes the OPG fees which I think are £130 ish. The £90 one certainly won't - it will just be preparing the documents.
  • retiredlady
    retiredlady Forumite Posts: 2,187
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sorry, but what is POA and OPG please?
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • Bizzie_Lizzie
    Bizzie_Lizzie Forumite Posts: 180
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    POA is Power Of Attorney, and OPG is Office of the Public Guardian.
  • flossy_splodge
    flossy_splodge Forumite Posts: 2,523
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    So to summarise: the price of £130 is the cost per Power of Attorney to REGISTER the document.
    If there are two of you then that will be £260.
    To actually fill in the documents, you can download and print out the forms from the Office of the Public Guardian.
    The forms themselves are 11 pages of A4 per person and the guidance pages are about 45 pages long.
    Suggest you ensure you read and follow the guidance notes before filling in the form.
    Then you can either keep the POA's until one or both need to be registered or you can pay the fee and register.
    Bear in mind there are two different POA's, one for finance and one for health type circumstances. So you will need 4 forms in total if you intend to fill out both types of POA for each of you.
    If you go to a solicitor for help completing the document the charges are very variable and usually the fees to register the document (ie £130 per POA) are not included or are quoted separately.
    Hope this helps.:)
  • flossy_splodge
    flossy_splodge Forumite Posts: 2,523
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Here is the link to the forms and the guidance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 340K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 231.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 602.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards