PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

caribbean recipes please

Options
My partner loves caribbean cooking and im afraid i have absolutley no idea how to even start a curried goat dish.

I have even been to the library and book shops but there dishes are far to complex and alot of fish dishes and more on the indian style rather than caribbean.

So would greatfully receive anyones receipes or ideas especially including chicken dishes.

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi manhater,

If you have a look on google there are quite a few links to caribbean recipe sites that should help.

Pink
  • manhater
    manhater Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, thanks pink, getting the shopping today so curried goat on the menu for tomorrows dinner.

Funny, im on the internet everyday, yet didnt even think about looking on google......der!!

Big kiss and thanks from my man. X (not sure he'll be giving me a kiss after a poor result of curried goat though, lol)
  • marvalous
    marvalous Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't advise you to start with curried goat. I was raised in the Caribbean and I have yet to attempt it!:rotfl:

it does take a bit of practice as the goat takes FOREVER to cook unless you have a pressure cooker or such like.

What island is he from? I have a massive coffee table book called Culinaria The Caribbean that has key recipes from every island in the Caribbean (great book by the way) and they vary tremendously from place to place.

If I were you, I would start simply with something like rice and peas or peas and rice as some people call it. Add some jerk chicken on the side and you good to go.

The secret to making jerk chicken is .......

Buy a bottle of Walkerswood Jerk Chicken from Tesco or similar:rotfl: :rotfl:

marinade the meat with it and grill it or bake it . Walkerswood is THE authentic Jamaican jerk marinade and it is very strong. So use sparingly. Don't waste your money on the imitators.

As I said I am from the Caribbean, my husband is from the Caribbean and I have lived on two Caribbean islands , both my mother and my grandmother run b&bs in the Caribbean where people have almost bitten off their fingers on their food so I know what I'm talking about.

START SIMPLE!
    Newbie Debt Ninja
  • richyg
    richyg Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Agree completely with Marvalous. Walkerswood is absolutely the best for jerk seasoning chicken fish or vegetables. They do a liquid in a bottle called Jerk sauce (I think) that is pretty good but I reckon the one called jerk seasoning (just checked the bottle)- which is a dry(ish) paste that you rub on is even better. Our Tescos doesnt stock it but Asda does and we are lucky enough in Coventry to have Caribbean grocers and a couple of Caribbean market stalls. It lasts ages as you only need a teaspoon or two and the jar is less that £2.

For jerk chicken with rice and peas

Rub jerk sauce on chicken thighs and drumsticks and leave for a few hours or overnight - cook slowly in the oven about 150 C covered and then uncovered to crisp up a bit. The slower cooked the better.

For rice and peas

Put the rice and a tin of kidney beans in a saucepan. Well the kidney beans should preferably be out of the tin !!.

It is optional whether you rinse/wash the kidney beans or just throw in - I have had it both ways and it doesnt make much difference. With the liquid in it gives a reddish colour to the final product. Add water or a mixture of water and coconut milk to about 1 inch above the rice. Add a teaspoon or two of mixed spice and a few cloves. Cook slowly covered - dont boil rapidly ( I think this is called the steaming method of cooking rice).

This can be served with a sweet and sour sauce poured over the rice. Havent got the recipe for that accurately you could even use something out of a jar but I know

Lots of sugar (100 g) - red wine vinegar - water and cornflour boiled up thickens and whilst not ghastly red is more authentic.

Enjoy on a banana leaf :rotfl: or more likely a paper plate in the garden with a tin of red stripe lager and a Bob Marley album.

Heaven.
  • nikibella
    nikibella Posts: 227 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I have a Penguin handbook Caribbean Cooking by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz that I bought many years ago that is full of recipes from all the regions of the Caribbean, easy and entertaining. You can still get it from Amazon new or used.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    I tried jerk chicken for the first time at my friend's house the other week and it was simply delicious. I'm doing my asda shopping online today so will look out for the seasoning and impress her with my attempt next time she calls.

Pipkin xxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • manhater
    Options
    marvalous wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise you to start with curried goat. I was raised in the Caribbean and I have yet to attempt it!:rotfl:

it does take a bit of practice as the goat takes FOREVER to cook unless you have a pressure cooker or such like.

What island is he from? I have a massive coffee table book called Culinaria The Caribbean that has key recipes from every island in the Caribbean (great book by the way) and they vary tremendously from place to place.

If I were you, I would start simply with something like rice and peas or peas and rice as some people call it. Add some jerk chicken on the side and you good to go.

The secret to making jerk chicken is .......

Buy a bottle of Walkerswood Jerk Chicken from Tesco or similar:rotfl: :rotfl:

marinade the meat with it and grill it or bake it . Walkerswood is THE authentic Jamaican jerk marinade and it is very strong. So use sparingly. Don't waste your money on the imitators.

As I said I am from the Caribbean, my husband is from the Caribbean and I have lived on two Caribbean islands , both my mother and my grandmother run b&bs in the Caribbean where people have almost bitten off their fingers on their food so I know what I'm talking about.

START SIMPLE!

Luckily for my b/friend i couldnt find anyone stocking goat, plenty of mutton but he doesnt like that!!

His family are from Grenada.

Thanks for the tip, i did actually have some walkerswood sauce in the cupboard called one stop sauce which i marinated with the chicken thighs and put in the oven for about an hour served with rice and it was lovely but not spicy, good for me not for my man, though he did enjoy it.
  • manhater
    Options
    richyg wrote: »
    Agree completely with Marvalous. Walkerswood is absolutely the best for jerk seasoning chicken fish or vegetables. They do a liquid in a bottle called Jerk sauce (I think) that is pretty good but I reckon the one called jerk seasoning (just checked the bottle)- which is a dry(ish) paste that you rub on is even better. Our Tescos doesnt stock it but Asda does and we are lucky enough in Coventry to have Caribbean grocers and a couple of Caribbean market stalls. It lasts ages as you only need a teaspoon or two and the jar is less that £2.

For jerk chicken with rice and peas

Rub jerk sauce on chicken thighs and drumsticks and leave for a few hours or overnight - cook slowly in the oven about 150 C covered and then uncovered to crisp up a bit. The slower cooked the better.

For rice and peas

Put the rice and a tin of kidney beans in a saucepan. Well the kidney beans should preferably be out of the tin !!.

It is optional whether you rinse/wash the kidney beans or just throw in - I have had it both ways and it doesnt make much difference. With the liquid in it gives a reddish colour to the final product. Add water or a mixture of water and coconut milk to about 1 inch above the rice. Add a teaspoon or two of mixed spice and a few cloves. Cook slowly covered - dont boil rapidly ( I think this is called the steaming method of cooking rice).

This can be served with a sweet and sour sauce poured over the rice. Havent got the recipe for that accurately you could even use something out of a jar but I know

Lots of sugar (100 g) - red wine vinegar - water and cornflour boiled up thickens and whilst not ghastly red is more authentic.

Enjoy on a banana leaf :rotfl: or more likely a paper plate in the garden with a tin of red stripe lager and a Bob Marley album.

Heaven.

Thanks, will try this recipe and get back to you, all gratefully received.
  • manhater
    Options
    nikibella wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a Penguin handbook Caribbean Cooking by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz that I bought many years ago that is full of recipes from all the regions of the Caribbean, easy and entertaining. You can still get it from Amazon new or used.

I will look it up, thanks
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oooooh they are running a Caribbean cookery course at work at the moment, and I love plantain. Do any of the major supermarkets sell this?

Morrisons has a Caribbean section in their international isle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure