employer trying to rip me off!!!!

Options
ive just quit my job as my employer never pays you on time. ive just got out of debt with my bank. any way last month i picked up my paycheck (£480) on the 25april. i payed my check in on the 26th. anyway the next tue whan my balance told me my check was in i drawed the lot out. two days later my bank told me my check had bounced and they said they were going to represent it. the following saturday it bounced again... my employer swore down that the money had gone out of his bank, but i had the check sent back to me so that was impossibe

ahhhhhhh £480 overdrawn. i went up the bank and asked for help. so they phoned my employer and demanded that he give me another check before i get any charges on my account for being overdrawn! he gave me another check and guess what happened yesterday!!! boing boing... the thing bounced again and ive just recieved a letter saying its been reprsented... sounds a little familiar huh!!!

i know its just gonna bounce again so im gonna go over to my employer in a bit to demand some action!!! can i demand cash. is there something i can threaten him with if he says hes not gonna pay me... usaully id just stick one on him but thats not gonna get me my money is it!!!

its been a month now since i was meant to get payed.you can see why i quit right!! who can i say im gonna report him to if he doesnt pay me. its not just me. everybodys checks are bouncing.... but the senior employees were payed cash as soon as they told him their checks had bounced!!!

please please please please please please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• pania
    pania Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, Is your job contracted and is your employer a member of unison?
    If so you may have comeback with regards to the terms and conditions in your contract or via unison.
    However if you are temporary or uncontracted you may have a bit of a fight on your hands i'm afraid. Try to get a meeting with your ex boss, gather the evidence of the hours that you worked and tell him another cheque is unacceptable. Most of all remian calm but assertive! try to make him see sense. Unfortunately as you have left he may tell you to take hike in which case threaten him with local press and small claims court!

Best of luck!
    P
    debt @05/11/11 £12210.63!! slowly chipping away!!
    :heart2:impossible is nothing.:heart2:
  • Crown
    Crown Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Options
    Im afraid I dont know the answer but didnt want to read and not reply to you. There is always small claims court but Im not 100% sure on the procedure.

Can you contact your local CAB?

Good luck with it.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • catewithers
    catewithers Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry - I don't have any answers but I'm just bumping you - someone will be along shortly with some help.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    You must be paid for work done - it's the law. and you have the cheque as proof that you are due payment.

Contact ACAS and they will tell you what your first step is. they are very helpful and you can find your local office at https://www.acas.org.uk

Good luck - hope you get it sorted.

Regards

caz
  • Storm
    Storm Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OK, to me it sounds like the company is about to go under if all the cheques are bouncing - so I would go to the CAB for advice, and then go to see him and demand that your are paid in cash NOW - get someone to accompany you too, so that there's a witness to whatever he says to you.

Are your bank still being understanding about this? Check with them that you're not about to be landed with a load of charges!
    Total Debt 13th Sept 2006 (exc student loan): £6240.06 :eek:
    O/D 1 [strike]£1250 [/strike]O/D 2 [strike]£100[/strike] Next a/c [strike]£313.55[/strike]@ 26.49% Mum [strike]£130[/strike] HSBC [strike]£4446.51[/strike]@15.75%[STRIKE]M&S £580.15@ 4.9%[/STRIKE]
    Total Debt 30th April 2008: £0 100% paid off!

PROUD TO [STRIKE]BE DEALING [/STRIKE] HAVE DEALT WITH MY DEBT ;)
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Do not "put one on him" lol it wont help your case apart from a feeling of self satisfaction. Your boss sounds a bit of a con man I would suggest your first course of action is to go to your local CAB. They will give you more detailed assistance than can be given on here,.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • misspoppy
    misspoppy Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I agree with the post that said to speak to ACAS, they have a lot of clout.
  • trojanhorse_2
    Options
    cab what does this stand for
  • fallenwiccan
    fallenwiccan Posts: 608 Forumite
    Options
    Citizens Advice Bureau :)
    HSBC CC - £3000 / £3000
    Halifax CC - £1032.77 / £1032.77
    Mortgage currently at [STRIKE]£82,299.71[/STRIKE] £76,017.62 would love to overpay
  • trojanhorse_2
    Options
    Storm wrote: »
    OK, to me it sounds like the company is about to go under if all the cheques are bouncing - so I would go to the CAB for advice, and then go to see him and demand that your are paid in cash NOW - get someone to accompany you too, so that there's a witness to whatever he says to you.

Are your bank still being understanding about this? Check with them that you're not about to be landed with a load of charges!

its not gonna go under, the place has been the same for nearly 10years. i never worked there that long but i know people who have and they told me.
    at the end of the day the gaffer is a penny pinching b0st0rd pardon my french!
    im just gonna go over demand it. put the frighteners up him abit and if that doesnt work ill have to email ACAS!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure