'Mrs Thatcher's funeral should set a precedent' blog discussion

Comments

• ragde
    ragde Posts: 1 Newbie
    I would like to live in this world that these people live in every thing is black and white The person is evil or a saint nothing between!!

As it said this is tribal and the old excuse Thacher was the first woman PM well have we to look now for the first PM with a wooden leg or has a brown dog, therefore they must have a State funeral.

I live in NORTH OF BRITAIN and I witnessed the destruction of the industrial base with no replacement or an alternative from the policy perused, so no love lost here, but she did do some things that was of value I cannot say there was nothing good about her but she was NOT the figure of greatness that is being put to us, she was not a Churchill by any stroke

I Object to My Tax being used to fund this, We are in a recession where cutting services and care with government scraping the bottom of the barrel for more cuts and we hand the Politicians a blank check to have a jolly.

My Black and white statement is Never give a politician one cent more than they need to do their Job because they will use and abuse it then tell you how wonderful they are and seek a state funeral for themselves

SO NO STATE FUNERAL because we devalue the word GREAT

Rank Bajin
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have no particular feelings about Mrs T. She did some good stuff and she did some bad stuff and like anyone else who dies and who has lived a reasonably honest and moral life as a member of what passes for British society ,she and her family should be afforded the normal courtesies and respect when burying her.

The right thing to do IMHO would have been to have a family funeral and not a state occasion.

This should be the same for any member of Government past or present.

As it is the capitalist ruling classes will again have their way by having this very public exhibition which illustrates the power still wielded by the ruling classes over the ordinary everyday people who inhabit this land by their good grace.,

No doubt there will be civil disturbance.

No doubt there will be Diana type mourning brought on by mass hysteria and the modern genre for irrational expression of public grief by people totally unconnected to the deceased
    No doubt Police from all over the country will be bussed in to kettle the Proletariat and suppress free expression.

Its a fitting occasional for the Police really as they may well get the chance to crack heads again and make lots of overtime..just like the good old days and for the benefit of the same person.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • pdrs
    pdrs Posts: 6 Forumite
    I've never heard of a poor politician. Let Thatcher and the rest of them pay for their own funerals, LIKE THE REST OF US HAVE TO!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Mrs Thatcher’s funeral should set a precedent
    Yes it should.
    It should set the precedent that when the government need to fund something they do so and don't say there is no money for it.
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    I have no particular feelings about Mrs T. She did some good stuff and she did some bad stuff and like anyone else who dies and who has lived a reasonably honest and moral life as a member of what passes for British society ,she and her family should be afforded the normal courtesies and respect when burying her.

The right thing to do IMHO would have been to have a family funeral and not a state occasion.

This should be the same for any member of Government past or present.

As it is the capitalist ruling classes will again have their way by having this very public exhibition which illustrates the power still wielded by the ruling classes over the ordinary everyday people who inhabit this land by their good grace.,

No doubt there will be civil disturbance.

No doubt there will be Diana type mourning brought on by mass hysteria and the modern genre for irrational expression of public grief by people totally unconnected to the deceased
    No doubt Police from all over the country will be bussed in to kettle the Proletariat and suppress free expression.

Its a fitting occasional for the Police really as they may well get the chance to crack heads again and make lots of overtime..just like the good old days and for the benefit of the same person.

No doubt about it, you were wrong.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Optimist wrote: »
    It is called the "True Blue Committee" and was started around 2006. In fact Andy Burnham the shadow heath secretary complained about the name last week... He was a bit red faced when told it was a Labour idea :)

The necessary preparations for a large funeral were discussed under Labour. It was called Operation Iron Bridge. That she wanted some kind of ceremonial funeral was discussed under Labour.

When the Coalition was formed. they renamed it Operation True Blue and embellished it further in 2010.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • BobQ
    Martin states:
    So if we as a nation are going to provide a ceremonial funeral for Mrs Thatcher, isn’t it time we set up a precedent? The decision should be codified but can still be discriminatory, just not on party grounds.

I think it is too late to set a precedent. The politicisation of the funeral (renaming it Operation True Blue), Cameron persuading the Queen to attend, the excessive attempts portray her as if she was a Saint, the recall of Parliament, means that precedents have been set already.

When Atlee and Churchill died, Parliament spent less than an hour discussing it.
    It may be that the level of funeral honours is dictated by the number of general elections won – yet at least some guidelines and consistency would take the sting out of a contentious decision at a time of grief for those close to the individual.

Had this been done in say 2005 this would make sense. But now its too late. When Blair dies the Queen will probably not be around, but it will produce the same comment.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • BobQ
    jamesd wrote: »
    One potentially easy and uncommon criterion: will the Queen attend? If yes, semi-state or state is OK.

Unfortunately because she never attended funerals of Atlee, Wilson, Eden, Macmillan, Heath or Callaghan, Cameron has placed the Monarchy in a position where it appears political. Wilson in particular won 4 elections but no Ceremonial funeral.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    BobQ wrote: »
    The necessary preparations for a large funeral were discussed under Labour. It was called Operation Iron Bridge. That she wanted some kind of ceremonial funeral was discussed under Labour.

When the Coalition was formed. they renamed it Operation True Blue and embellished it further in 2010.

I will wait with bated breath for Andy Burnham to put in a complaint about getting the wrong information from No 10 then...
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • zerog wrote: »
    Voters are selfish. Those who actually have a legitimate gripe about Thatcher (and not the idiots who just parrot what their parents say or just want to riot)
    :T I know a few like this. People under 25 who are just repeating their parents prejudiced views! Lame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure