Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

'Mrs Thatcher's funeral should set a precedent' blog discussion

New Post Advanced Search

'Mrs Thatcher's funeral should set a precedent' blog discussion

24 replies 3.7K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.




Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
«13

Replies

  • Lets have an official public vote on the matter.
  • Thatcher set the bar very high, which is winning 3 elections and ensuring national economic prosperity for a generation........ Unlike Blair and Brown who have impoverished the country for a generation.
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thatcher set the bar very high, which is winning 3 elections and ensuring national economic prosperity for a generation........ Unlike Blair and Brown who have impoverished the country for a generation.

    Voters are selfish. Those who actually have a legitimate gripe about Thatcher (and not the idiots who just parrot what their parents say or just want to riot) were impoverished for a generation and Blair and Brown ensured their personal economic prosperity.
    Martin wrote:
    Yet on electoral terms she had a superb record – although of course that’s matched by Tony Blair, so does this guarantee him similar treatment when his time comes?

    No, Thatcher's popularity increased with every election (until the stupid poll tax), whereas Blair started losing voters from the start.
  • paulineb_2paulineb_2
    6.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not in Scotland it didnt.
  • JezRJezR Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    All, or nearly all of the content of the funeral was agreed before this government, or for that matter Gordon Brown. Indeed it was suggested that under Brown a full state funeral was proposed and expected - there is evidence in newspapers which was easy to find at one time but more difficult now as current events are found first.
  • OptimistOptimist Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    All, or nearly all of the content of the funeral was agreed before this government, or for that matter Gordon Brown. Indeed it was suggested that under Brown a full state funeral was proposed and expected - there is evidence in newspapers which was easy to find at one time but more difficult now as current events are found first.

    It is called the "True Blue Committee" and was started around 2006. In fact Andy Burnham the shadow heath secretary complained about the name last week... He was a bit red faced when told it was a Labour idea :)
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

    Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to invite 2000 people and spend £10 million, it could be done a lot cheaper or with more cost covered by her estate, millionaire relatives or the Tory party since they love her enough to eulogise for seven hours. Taxpayer should be paying for a decent amount of policing. Do not like that the ConDems are refusing to reveal the cost until afterwards.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • wozearlywozearly Forumite
    202 posts
    zerog wrote: »
    Voters are selfish. Those who actually have a legitimate gripe about Thatcher (and not the idiots who just parrot what their parents say or just want to riot) were impoverished for a generation and Blair and Brown ensured their personal economic prosperity.

    You could equally argue that those with a legitimate reason to cheer Thatcher were elevated in wealth during their generation's time. And to be frank, I'm not sure that those badly impacted by Thatcher would all agree that Blair and Brown ensured their prosperity.

    There isn't necessarily any logic in the tribalism that goes with political parties. If you divorce yourself from having a side and try to look at the merits and flaws of both arguments, you can often see good, bad and hot air in the rhetoric of any political party.
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    No need to invite 2000 people and spend £10 million, it could be done a lot cheaper or with more cost covered by her estate, millionaire relatives or the Tory party since they love her enough to eulogise for seven hours. Taxpayer should be paying for a decent amount of policing. Do not like that the ConDems are refusing to reveal the cost until afterwards.

    Whatever anyone's personal views on Thatcher, she was Britain's first female Prime Minister, hugely well-recognised and influential on the world stage, and had an enviable electoral success record, being the longest serving Prime Minister in the 20th Century.

    The combination (although not necessarily any individual element) to me is a reasonable justification for the state to mark it formally.
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    24.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One potentially easy and uncommon criterion: will the Queen attend? If yes, semi-state or state is OK.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Estimated £10million. WOW. The Grantham Co-op could do it for about £5000.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support