MSE News: Santander is most-complained about bank, FCA figures show

Former_MSE_Darryl
Former_MSE_Darryl Posts: 210 Forumite
edited 15 April 2013 at 2:03PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
"Santander has earned the unwanted crown of being the most complained-about banking firm per customer, figures from the Financial Conduct Authority show..."
Read the full story:

Santander is most-complained about bank, FCA figures show

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Strange how Santander is bottom again I find their "customer service" good

A few years back it was terrible customer service for me when you phoned up it was always someone from India but I find now if you phone their customer service you always get someone from the U.K. (well I do anyway)
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've only been with Santander since A&L were incorporated but have no complaints whatsoever. Their Esaver accounts have served me well since then and all my enquiries have been dealt with efficiently either via online secure message or telephone.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    I moved from Santander to Nationwide because of the Flexplus account and to be honest... Santander were actually very good, zero problems and always very friendly.

The move to Nationwide was a pure nightmare but things have settled down now.
  • No complaints about Santander here (I have been with them since they took over A&L, hence why I have a premier direct current account, something Santander have actually never offered themselves!)

Halifax on the other hand, horrendous!
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • If you go to MSE account finder for accounts always in credit Santander is second only to First Direct , confused !
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It would be interesting to see how these complaints break down into categories... as has been hinted at Santander comes top of this poll but yet the 123 bank accounts gets a 91% satisfaction rating...

As Santander is a merger of 3 ex- building society-come-banks, I would imagine a huge proportion of these complaints relate to PPI, as I can't speak for Abbey but A&L was one of the big players in the PPI mis-selling scandal... it would also be interesting to see how many of these complaints relate to bank charges.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you go to MSE account finder for accounts always in credit Santander is second only to First Direct , confused !

MSE notoriously only factor in pure financial gain in their comparisons.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ses6jwg wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how these complaints break down into categories... as has been hinted at Santander comes top of this poll but yet the 123 bank accounts gets a 91% satisfaction rating...

As Santander is a merger of 3 ex- building society-come-banks, I would imagine a huge proportion of these complaints relate to PPI, as I can't speak for Abbey but A&L was one of the big players in the PPI mis-selling scandal... it would also be interesting to see how many of these complaints relate to bank charges.

Quite. Also, it would be very interesting to know what %age of complaints were actually upheld.

A blanket "Santander is dreadful" is most certainly unjustified. I have had their 123 current account for about a year now, and it's by a mile my best-liked current account (of the almost two dozen current accounts I have). Also, their ISAs invariably have market-leading interest rates. I don't have a mortgage, loan or overdraft so can't comment from experience on those aspects, but the rest of Santander's offerings is certainly no worse than any of the others I regularly deal with.
  • ses6jwg wrote: »

innovate wrote: »
    Quite. Also, it would be very interesting to know what %age of complaints were actually upheld.

A blanket "Santander is dreadful" is most certainly unjustified. I have had their 123 current account for about a year now, and it's by a mile my best-liked current account (of the almost two dozen current accounts I have). Also, their ISAs invariably have market-leading interest rates. I don't have a mortgage, loan or overdraft so can't comment from experience on those aspects, but the rest of Santander's offerings is certainly no worse than any of the others I regularly deal with.

You might be able to find what you're looking for here:
    http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/systems-reporting/complaints-data/firm-level
    You were only killing time and it'll kill you right back
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Of course, the bigger a bank is, the more complaints it will get. Deeper analysis of the FCA's data shows on banking complaints alone, Santander scored worst on the number of complaints per 1,000 customers, even though its overall figure was not worst:

Santander had 4 complaints per 1,000 banking customers.
    RBS/NatWest had 3.8.
    Barclays had 2.9.
    HSBC had 2.6.
    Bank of Scotland had 1.3.
    Lloyds TSB had 1.
    Halifax had 0.9.
    Nationwide Building Society had 0.9.
    I think these figures are the most useful. I believe these exclude PPI.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure