Need A Bus? Youre A Failure Said Thatcher

Options
Debate this morning about some of Thatcher's 'legacy' comments! such as :

“a man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus, can count himself a failure”.
(Margaret Thatcher) Harry Eyres FT

Well I guess that's my life down the pan then...

Also, what about working mums? Dont they count?

Comments

• Marco_Panettone
    Options

“a man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus, can count himself a failure”.

I would've thought working mums would also be a failure in the same context...
    It's only numbers.
  • cgk1
    cgk1 Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Only problem is that she never actually said that or anything like that, it's a persistant urban myth - I hated Thatcher but we might as well be accurate.
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    What utter rubbish - journalists drag up. Bet they quoted totally out of context - just to make a headline. No one is a failure for riding on a bus to work or to the shops - in fact these days it is a good choice for the environment and the fares are usually reasonable with multi buyride tickets. When she was PM the world was a vastly different place - nothing like it is now. She believed that hard work got you places - simply because that is what she did. But she was a tory - enough said!
  • DecentLivingWage
    Options
    Well, the statement was 'debate' - maybe we can find the 'context' and post it so we can all draw our own conclusions about what she meant!
  • cgk1
    cgk1 Posts: 1,300 Forumite
    Options
    Well, the statement was 'debate' - maybe we can find the 'context' and post it so we can all draw our own conclusions about what she meant!

There is no context, she never uttered a word of that statement - the best guess is that it was said by Loelia Lindsay nee Ponsonby.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options

She didn't say it. Or at least, if she did, no-one knows where or when. See here.

Even if she had said it, it would have been distinctly shop-soiled.

Daily Telegraph, 2 November 2006
    Sir – It was Loelia Ponsonby, one of the many wives of Bendor, 2nd Duke of Westminster, who said: "Anybody seen in a bus over the age of 30 has been a failure in life" (Comment, October 30).

Winston Churchill was a witness at their wedding and his omniscient biographer, Sir Martin Gilbert, quotes the words of the duchess. She proved the point: after her divorce she complained bitterly that, having been born in St James's Palace, she now had to endure bus travel in the rain. A case of being hoist with one's own petard?
    Alistair Cooke, London SWI

Daily Telegraph, 3 November 2006
    Sir – It was Brian Howard, aesthete of the Brideshead generation, who first said: "Anybody seen in a bus over the age of 30 has been a failure in life" (Letters, November 2).
    I know this because I congratulated Loelia, Duchess of Westminster on having coined the phrase in a small private anthology she published. She confessed she had nicked it from Howard. I think of it every time I get on a bus.
    Hugo Vickers, Ramsdell, Hants
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options

'Man' is the collective and correct term when used to describe huMANs from both sexes.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    'Man' is the collective and correct term when used to describe huMANs from both sexes.

"A man" isnt collective though
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    "A man" isnt collective though

...... but MAN is !
  • Jeff_Bridges_hair
    Options
    ...... but MAN is !

It was almost like they read my post then made up something different in their head and replied to that instead.

Thanks
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure