Maximising income - Mystery Shopping? Surveys? (Part Two)

Options

Comments

• Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys - I've created a new MSing thread due to this one's size, with some additional information on - this is posted here....

I have linked back to both this and the first thread for reference.

Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to do on the new thread. Hopefully jessicamb should be unstickying this one and stickying the new one soon....

Remember to subscribe to the new one for updates!

Timmne :D
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone worked for the Company Amber Arch? Any comments on what they are like to work for?
  • wax
    wax Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Anyone worked for the Company Amber Arch? Any comments on what they are like to work for?

They are excellent and pay quick.
  • chilli_em
    Options
    Hi folks,
    Just a quickie, I've been mystery shopping since about September, done about twelve jobs or so - just for one company. I had no idea I had to register with the Inland Revenue, so now I'm really worried! I haven't kept any records of my reciepts etc, although I can access all the jobs I have done on the website.
    Mainly - I'm a full time student - does this affect how I pay my tax???

Thanks all
    Emma
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    chilli_em wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just a quickie, I've been mystery shopping since about September, done about twelve jobs or so - just for one company. I had no idea I had to register with the Inland Revenue, so now I'm really worried! I haven't kept any records of my reciepts etc, although I can access all the jobs I have done on the website.
    Mainly - I'm a full time student - does this affect how I pay my tax???

Thanks all
    Emma

Firstly, just to let you know you have posted on the wrong thread - there's a new one at
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=614705

Secondly, the best thing you can do is to ring your tax office, plead ignorance and ask how you register. If you worked before 31.3.07 you should put in a tax return NOW! (due by 31st Jan)....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was a MS with Retail Maxim for 2-3 years. To be honest, you hardly earn anything when you take into account travelling time to the job, parking, actually doing the survey (some were many many pages long) and then either writing it up or having to hang around in the evening for a phone call so that you could read out the report to a typist. For all this , you would get the grandly titled 'fee' of £9.00.

I think I earned less than £40 a year and did it more for my own entertainment. When I was unable to do 3 separate jobs to me, they sent me a P45! The amount on it was laughable.
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    I'm had 5 emails about MS jobs none I can do as they are during office hours. Are there any not in this time frame?
  • Mokeyjen
    Mokeyjen Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I have just been reading about becoming a MS as an extra way of earning some more cash, and although it sounds like a really good idea, I am a bit worried about the tax part of it...

I am already employed full time and was wondering how doing this extra work is going to affect it...

Can anyone help who is in the same situation as me please??

Cheers,
    Jen
    confused-smiley-013.gif
    :D I love comping! Just waiting for the call from ITV! :D

:j Best win so far... iPad 3, £500 & KitchenAid Mixer :j
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mokeyjen wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just been reading about becoming a MS as an extra way of earning some more cash, and although it sounds like a really good idea, I am a bit worried about the tax part of it...

I am already employed full time and was wondering how doing this extra work is going to affect it...

Can anyone help who is in the same situation as me please??

Cheers,
    Jen
    confused-smiley-013.gif

You will have to pay tax on the mystery shopping fees you receive. Most MS companies will take tax at source and you will have to give them your tax code. Some pay gross, which means you have to inform the Inland Revenue and then fill in a tax return form. There will be no effect on your full time job unless your contract specifies that you can't carry out any other work.

I am a full time mystery shopper and allocator, and part of my fees are taxed at source, the rest are not, and I have to do my tax return every year.

If you thinkt it's worth doing some mystery shopping, I'd check with your tax office as to the best way to sort out your tax.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Cookiecrumble
    Options
    Hi I'm just about to sign up with Retail Eyes. Is anyone with them? PM me with your name and I can enter your name and you get a referral fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure