Dealing with Building Insurance Company after a flood

Options
Dear All

I have a little dilemna, I'm not sure what the next course of action should be. Would welcome suggestions.
8 months ago I noticed damp patches coming through the carpet of my living room floor which is a suspended concrete block/beam floor. I reported this to the building insurance (Halifax) who discovered a leak from my washing machine in utility room, which they fixed. They concluded that the damp patches were as a result of the Damp Proof Membrane being penetrated and thus will not accept liability and suggested I speak to NHBC as it is a newbuild.

NHBC have investigated and concluded differently and refuse to accept it was a DPM issue at all. They refer me back to my building insurance. The damp has now dried up (since the leaking washing machine was fixed) so no one can prove where the leak came from to create the damp patches.

Neither insurance co (Halifax nor NHBC) is accepting liability and I am left to pay a small fortune for new flooring and repair to skirting boards, door frames and decor, not to mention the the disruption and inconvencience of suffering through this for months. Surely this cannot be right? I have complained to both insurance companies but they each have upheld their original decisions.

if any of this doesn’t quite make sense or you need further information I would be happy to talk to someone. Many thanks._pale__pale_

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport