Putting in a claim through Ebay

Options
I recently bought a mobile phone from Ebay, for which I paid by cheque. The phone arrived faulty and I have been told be two different mobile phone shops that it is a common fault with the Samsung E700 (won't take pictures and screen goes white). It was completely undamaged in the post and yet the seller tried to make out that it must have been damaged and he couldn't do anything because I didn't take postal insurance (there was none offered!).

Now, after putting in an "item not as described" dispute through ebay (it was described as in mint condition) and swapping comments with the seller the seller says that we must have broken it! Ive now clicked "escalate dispute to a claim" in the hope that Ebay will reimburse me (I shan't hold my breath!). Trouble is it says they may ask for a copy of the cheque I sent (which, of course I haven't got) and some written proof of the fault with the phone (which will probably cost me).

Does anyone know what will happen next? Even if I managed to obtain the above and Ebay reimbursed me, what would happen with the seller? If I can't get the proof Ebay want then what will happen?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,312 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sorry but I have never had to deal with the ebay complaints procedure, I've always paid by paypal and gone straight to them who have always helped. I've never had to deal with the ebay system.

However, there are conflicting reports on the dedicated ebay newsgroups about how effective the ebay dispute process is. You might try asking on the ebay boards to see if anyone there can talk you through the process.

I'm not sure though that I can be positive about the outcome, most of the reports about the ebay complaints process mention that the cost outweighs the benefits, but good luck. Please let us know how you get on as it will be useful to know how effective ebay are at sorting problems.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure