Removing ceiling rose- stuck!

Options
Hi

We are attempting to change a pendant light in a new build house to a light fitting but we have come unstuck at the first hurdle - previous experience and all info so far found on the web indicates that we simply unscrew the existing ceiling rose.

For some reason ours do not seem to want to unscrew no matter what we do!

Could it be that these are a different type of ceiling rose that come off in some other way? They dont look to have been painted or stuck somehow, nothing visible is showing. We have tried the lights in different rooms too just in case it was just the lounge but they are all the same.

Please does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you say which developer it is, people with experience of that developer's methods/supplies might feel more worthy of trying to help.
  • Hannah2
    Hannah2 Posts: 281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Pastures New, thanks, its a Barratts house and it is actually 2 years old.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
  • fto
    fto Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Depends, most probably they just cheap fittings & very tight cross threaded. I have seen some that you have to push up & then turn to release.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could be one of the new click in ones?:)

LINKY
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Hannah2
    Hannah2 Posts: 281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for suggestions everyone - solved now - decided to get heavy handed and prised it off with the claw end of a hammer!

Turns out they had painted over the part attached to the ceiling and then must have screwed the cover on when the paint was wet thus sticking the two sections together.

Another brilliant idea by Barratts! Doesnt suprise me though - nothing does anymore!!!

Thanks again.
  • OldFartPlumber
    Options
    Spare a thought for the poor old decorator - they`re on just above min. wage . The days of decent money on ANY building site are LONG gone
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad having scrolled down you didn't need to use a birmingham screwdriver.

I've had to (having turned off the electricity) and works well with the older style of fittings.

I've learnt my lesson, never buy a house owned by an electrician unless you're looking to do a rewire.
    Tim
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Hannah2 wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions everyone - solved now - decided to get heavy handed and prised it off with the claw end of a hammer!

Turns out they had painted over the part attached to the ceiling and then must have screwed the cover on when the paint was wet thus sticking the two sections together.

Another brilliant idea by Barratts! Doesnt suprise me though - nothing does anymore!!!

Thanks again.

Next time "tap" it in a few places with the end of a screwdriver as that usually "cracks" the paint holding it together.
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    I've had similar problems before and had to resort to 'nibbling' away the plastic with some pliers! - With the power turned off obviously.......

Olias
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport