Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

'New Rock, Paper, Scissors game – the tennis version' blog discussion

New Post Advanced Search

'New Rock, Paper, Scissors game – the tennis version' blog discussion

3 replies 1.6K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It'll always go to a tie-break because the chance of breaking serve on any given point is 1/3. So it's very unlikely you will break for four points in a game before the server has reached four points.

You could instead say the first 'draw' of any given point takes it to 'second serve', and a draw on the second serve gives the point to the server. This increases the odds of breaking on any given point from 1/3 to 4/9, so should lead to more competitive games.

And no, I don't know why I'm encouranging you Martin!
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    VT82 wrote: »
    It'll always go to a tie-break because the chance of breaking serve on any given point is 1/3. So it's very unlikely you will break for four points in a game before the server has reached four points.

You could instead say the first 'draw' of any given point takes it to 'second serve', and a draw on the second serve gives the point to the server. This increases the odds of breaking on any given point from 1/3 to 4/9, so should lead to more competitive games.

You could but try it you'd be surprised that breaking serve can and does happen. (and now Im encouraging you back :) )
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • zerogzerog Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    VT82 wrote: »

RPS is NOT a game of chance, especially if you've played against that person before.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support