PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storing butter at room temperature

Options
I'm sure, once upon a time, people kept butter at room temperature and didn't die of food poisoning. I was brought up on marg, so have no experience of this myself.

How long does butter keep outside of the fridge? (That is, how long does it take to smell rancid?) Do you need to keep it in anything special, or just the wrapper? :confused:

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Mum and dad don't put their butter in the fridge, unless it gets really hot in summer.
    They keep theirs in a covered butter dish, it doesn't get time to go off.
    If you don't use a lot, then cut a block into quarters and just leave out a small amount at a time, keeping the rest wrapped up in the fridge.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keeps for ages as long as the weathers not too warm in which case it is better in the fridge as it an get toooo soft
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I keep mine in a butter dish and i don't keep it in the fridge as you can't spread it then.

I'm still here to tell the tale
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have never had any problems with keeping butter out of the fridge. I use a Cornish ware butter dish which I love. I put half a block in at a time. It gets used pretty quickly with 5 of us.
  • CLARABEL
    CLARABEL Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    i also keep mine out of the fridge in a terracotta butter dish. my dish can be soaked in water if it gets hot weather so that it cools the butter through evaporation!

My butter has never gone rancid, and lasts easily more than a week..

:T
  • Ytaya
    Ytaya Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, guys!

It seems like a butter dish is key. A quick scout online tells me that John Lewis / Lakeland want £13 - £30 for one, and Argos and Tesco Direct don't do them. Are butter dishes really that expensive?! :eek: Would any old stoneware pot with a lid do? I'm a single girl, I don't need oodles out at once.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes any stoneware pot with a lid will be fine. I'd just keep a little out at a time if you are the only one using it. I think a hot summer is predicted ;)
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about a lock and lock? They usually keep things fresh for longer.
  • wolvesinwales
    wolvesinwales Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always struggled getting this right but on a recent visit to Macro i found the solution, i bought a box of catering butter mini packs 10g in each i think. I just take a few out of the fridge at a time.
    Plus they actually worked out cheaper than the equivalent weight in a single block.
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport