Can I use Orange BB dongle on a tablet?

Options
My 4/5 year old Netbook has a few keys that have stopped working, one of which is the Zero, which makes it pretty useless! if I was to replace it with a tablet or i-pad mini would I be able to use my 500mb per month Orange dongle?

I only used the netbook for internet access, g-mail and making a few notes, mainly when on holiday/weekends away. the dongle only costs me £5 and a few pennies p.c.m. and is also useful at home when BB goes down.

Not really constrained by price, but completely fazed by all the choice, and being an older user, worried about getting the wrong thing for my needs.

I should add, a lot of the places I visit are pretty rural and would not have access to free wi-fi service.

Hope someone can help please. In this throw away age I am assuming the netbook would not be repairable?

MM
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What model is the netbook, is it just the keys that are not working?

I'd recommend looking into mifi type devices, it's a separate device like your dongle but it works like a mini wireless router. You put your simcard into it and then any device which can connect wirelessly can use it with no further setup required.

John
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks John, I will look it out tomorrow and also note the keys which are duff, it is fine in all other respects, not over speedy, but that is not a problem. I have a new laptop for home use.

MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Generally no. There are hacks around for certain Android tablets to make it work but that's seriously advanced stuff that will probably void your warranty.

However that dongle probably has a sim card in there, so if you get a tablet with 3G capability you could put the sim card directly into the tablet and make use of it that way?
  • Stooby2
    Stooby2 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    Or do you have a smartphone that allows tethering / wifi hotspot? That will allow you to connect a tablet to the net.
  • maddiemay
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    What model is the netbook, is it just the keys that are not working?

I'd recommend looking into mifi type devices, it's a separate device like your dongle but it works like a mini wireless router. You put your simcard into it and then any device which can connect wirelessly can use it with no further setup required.

John

It is a Samsung N210. The keys that are duff seem to be:-
    Zero, P, -, {, :, comma, less than.

I will read up on the mifi.
  • maddiemay
    Options
    LUM & STOOBY2

Yes it has a SIM card.

I have just bought my first smartphone (told you I am an old 'un)
    it is a Galaxy Ace 2 on O2, I will read up on tethering, I was aware that some could do it. LOL

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
  • Supatramp
    Supatramp Posts: 693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use my 3 dongle with my Scroll Excel 7" tablet. When I got the tablet, I used the included USB conversion lead and it worked immediately and perfectly.
    David.
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 April 2013 at 8:09PM
    Options
    Replacement keyboards are available for your Samsung around £15 from Ebay, and do a search on youtube for replacement keyboard video. From a quick look it does not seem to be that hard or technical to do.

here are instructions I found

How to Remove / Replace your Samsung N Series N210 Laptop Keyboard

Prior to replacing your Samsung N Series N210 laptop keyboard, make sure to remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter from your laptop.
    The first step to replacing your laptop keyboard is to remove the screws from the back of your Samsung N Series N210. Sometimes your laptop will have a picture of a keyboard next to the screws that need to be removed. Otherwise, see your N210 laptop manual for details.
    Above your Samsung N210 laptop keyboard, you have a cover panel. If required, remove this part to easily access your Samsung keyboard.
    If you have screws above your Samsung N Series N210 Keyboard, remove those screws.
    Now that you have removed all the screws, you are ready to remove and then replace your new Samsung N210 laptop keyboard.
    To remove your N210 Keyboard, take a thin object and pry the keyboard out between the keyboard and motherboard. Be careful when removing your Samsung N Series N210 Keyboard.
    Now that your keyboard is loose, simply disconnect your Samsung N210 keyboard. In order to disconnect the keyboard, pay attention to the keyboard connector and connector cable. Unlock the connector cable device and remove your laptop keyboard. Your Samsung N210 connector cable should be easy to remove by simply sliding it out.
    Now that your N210 keyboard has been removed, get ready to install your new Samsung N210 laptop keyboard. Look at the back of the keyboard. If you see any screw holes, you will have a good idea of where to place the screws back in at the bottom of your Samsung N Series N210 laptop.
    Connect your Samsung N210 keyboard to the motherboard keyboard connection slot. Secure the N210 keyboard cable. Now turn your keyboard in place, and align the grooves on the bottom of your keyboard with your palmrest or plastic bezel. Secure your laptop keyboard in place, make sure it fits properly and is snug. Now simply place the screws back in place.
    Congratulations! You just removed and replaced your New Samsung N Series N210 Laptop Keyboard.

Ebay search http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Samsung+N210+keyboard&_sacat=0&_from=R40

gives a lot of hits

Other instructions found

Samsung N210 Keyboard Repair and Replacement
    Are you considering laptop keyboard repair? You might think twice if you happen to be the lucky owner of a laptop, because replacing the keyboard rather than repairing it could be a lot less expensive. Laptop keyboard on this particular model is very easy and takes just a few minutes. Here is a quick keyboard repair tutorial with step-by-step instructions.
    Once you have purchased the new keyboard, all you need to replace the old with the new is a screwdriver and something plastic, flat and thin like a credit card or guitar pick.
    Step one: Remove the two screws from the bottom of the computer that are holding down the keyboard for Samsung N210 bezel. The bezel is the bar that sits right above all the function keys.
    Step two: Turn the computer over, open the cover and insert the credit card or guitar pick between the bezel and the Samsung laptop screen. The bezel has pegs that sit in holes, you need to slowly pry up the bezel. It will make a bit of a popping noise as it is removed.
    Step three: Now hold on to the laptop keyboard from the end closest to the screen and gently pull it away from the touch-pad end and flip it over. You will see the ribbon attached to the underside of the Samsung N210 Keyboard. There is a little plastic connector holding the ribbon to the computer. To unlock it, carefully pull up on the two tabs; one located on each corner of the connector. Be very gentle when you do this as this is the one part that gets broken the most often when changing a keyboard. The ribbon cable will now be released.
    Step four: Carefully pull the ribbon out of the connector and remove it along with the entire Samsung laptop keyboard.
    Final step: To insert the new Samsung N210 replacement keyboard , place the board face down so you have easy access to the ribbon. Make sure the keyboard is lined up so when you flip it back over the keys are in the correct position. Keep the ribbon straight at all times; twisting it could damage it. Place the ribbon in the connector; it only goes in one way. Once in place, push down on the connector tabs to lock it. Now flip the keyboard over and slide it down toward the touch pad and take the bezel and line the pegs up with the holes and push it in place. Then turn the computer over and replace the two screws you removed from the bottom. You can now power on your computer and see if the keyboard works. If it is not working, more than likely the ribbon was not inserted properly.

==================
    And another
    How to remove your SAMSUNG N210 Keyboard?
    • 1.Turn off the laptop if it is running. Removing the SAMSUNG N210 keyboard while the laptop is running may cause accidents.
    • 2.Remove those screws with a T-8 or Phillips screwdriver.
    • 3.Turn the laptop back over and open it up. Check and see if the SAMSUNG N210 keyboard is tucked under any plastic pieces. If so, find if those plastic pieces are screwed into anything, and unfasten them as well. If not, it probably uses clamps that can easily be removed.
    • 4.Remove the plastic pieces carefully with a toothpick or plastic pick if there is any in the way.
    • 5.Unscrew any screws at the top (if necessary) and remove the SAMSUNG N210 keyboard itself from top to bottom. You'll notice that the keyboard is connected with a thin, but wide, data cable to the system board at the bottom.
    • 6.Take that same pick and lift the plastic connectors that hold in this data cable in place. Carefully remove the data cable. Now the whole SAMSUNG N210 keyboard should be free.
    How to replace SAMSUNG N210 Keyboard?
    • 1.Take the new SAMSUNG N210 keyboard out of the plastic, and slip the data cable back in between the plastic connectors on the system board. Make sure it's all the way in.
    • 2.Use the pick to push the plastic connectors back into place, and make sure it's holding the data cable in.
    • 3.Slip the SAMSUNG N210 keyboard itself into place, from bottom to top. Make sure the screw holes or clamps line up at the top.
    • 4.Refasten the SAMSUNG N210 keyboard in place at the top.
    • 5.If you had to remove any plastic pieces, carefully snap them back in and replace any screws you had to remove.
    • 6.Turn the laptop over and replace all of the keyboard screws.
    • 7.Finally, put the battery back in and power on the laptop.
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I just also wanted to add that don't be fooled by thinking a tablet will do everything a netbook does because it doesn't. I own both and to be honest I find a netbook far more useful and practical. Id recommend buying another or making repair to the one you already have.
  • maddiemay
    Options
    Thank you Aerostar and flang, you have been a great help.

I will investigate the keyboard replacement, if I cannot sort that I think I have pretty much decided to buy another netbook, I am pretty OCD about all the smeary marks on my camera and smartphone so I think I would be useless with a tablet. LOL

MM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure