Debit card details stolen when booking online?

Options
I had a phone call from my bank this morning, saying that there had been suspicious activity on my account. Rather than give security details over the phone - I had no way of knowing whether the call was kosher or not - I phoned the customer services number on the back of my debit card.

The bank had declined an online payment for £400+ which I certainly hadn't authorised, and now my card's been stopped.

I asked the guy how they could have got hold of my details, and he suggested that it might have been via an online booking I made to a budget hotel chain. At the time, the hotel chain website didn't send the immediate confirmatory email that they said they had; when I went back online I clicked the link which said "I've made my booking but I haven't received the confirmatory email" but it just took me to a page saying that there was a technical problem. I did eventually get the email, but it was quite a while later.

I'm wondering if something untoward happened during this time. Does anyone else on here have experience of this happening?

Comments

• dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    Well unless the bank have had information that this is where it is happened. And to be honest its not often that even the fraud departments know....
    They should NOT be telling you.

From experiance it could have happened anywhere you have used the card, and that includes supermarkets and any other shop. They have your full card details on their systems.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Fishingtime
    Fishingtime Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Both my debit cards have had money taken out at some stage, and so has my CC.

I have no idea where the money from my DC was taken, but I know that the CC only one company had the details to this card.
    At the time that the money was spent on my CC I didn't even have the card, as I cut it up so that I could not spend on it
    Owing on CC £00.00 :j

It's like shooting nerds in a barrel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family