Can he get Attendance Allowance?

Options
My OH was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago. Since then he has deteriorated.In himself he seems quite well ,but his hands and his knees have been swelling up. He now has trouble picking things up, opening jars and tins,holding the kettle,putting on his socks and trousers. Also he keeps dropping things due to his hands and then can't pick them up because he can't bend.We have never claimed anything so don't really know how to go about it. Does anyone think he would be able to claim Attendance Allowance and how do we go about it. Thanksin advance to everyone.

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As you're asking about AA, I assume he's over 65?

This is the basics - https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

It's worth applying but get help to fill the forms in.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've already posted about this on the Disability and Dosh board.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=60298891&highlight=#post60298891
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • mojoman
    mojoman Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ,Yes I did post on Disability and Dosh,but thought I'd more chance of answers on this forum.Still hardly any,but thanks to the person who did reply.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    he should claim, as they can only say no.

there are many aids availablr yp help people with problems like his
  • bigboybrother
    Options
    Attendance Allowance is awarded for the needs that have arisen from an illness or disability. Age by itself is classed as a disability for AA purposes.

To be honest very few applications for AA are ever refused, simply because they are from those over 65 who are the least likely to want to 'work the system'.

Just make sure that the GP is on side and knows all about the disabling effects as the DWP will write to him/her for a report.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Attendance Allowance is awarded for the needs that have arisen from an illness or disability.

This is right.

Age by itself is classed as a disability for AA purposes.

This isn't. There are plenty of people well into their 70s and 80s who don't have any care needs at all. They wouldn't be awarded AA just because of their age.

To be honest very few applications for AA are ever refused, simply because they are from those over 65 who are the least likely to want to 'work the system'.

This may have been true once but it isn't now. Unless you have care needs which are carefully explained, AA will be refused.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 904 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whe I first did my benefit training, I was told that by far, the largest group of fraudulent claims are from pensioners, whether by mistake or deliberate.

elmer
  • Errata
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The important thing with a claim for AA is that it's supported by as much evidence as possible, current treatments, meds, hospital letters, GP opinion etc.
  • bigboybrother
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    This may have been true once but it isn't now. Unless you have care needs which are carefully explained, AA will be refused.

I was specifically talking about the needs that come about because of old age. If you find that you can't get up and down stairs or get into or out of the bath without help and your GP/OT can certify that that is correct, not having any diagnosis will not affect the claim.
  • Errata
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely a GP or OT will identify the reasons (diagnose) someone can't use the stairs or bath? Otherwise all they're saying is that the person won't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure