We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Plant ideas please

Options
For a raised bed at the front of a North facing house, so hardly any Sun. Frost proof. I would like something low growing and quite dense to stop the cats going to toilet, so prickly is good.

Comments

• ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mahonia, an evergreen shrub with very sharp leaves (think holly leaves but larger) and bright yellow flowers in winter. Not low growing but you can prune hard to keep it in decent shape and stop it getting too high. I've got one against a 6 foot fence and under a lilac tree and it is thriving despite.

Bergenia ("Elephant ears"). Big fleshy leaves close to the ground with lovely pink flowers in spring. Good ground cover. They do better in sun but I've got one in semi shade and it's fine, just slower growing.

Have you tried those products in garden centres etc that are supposed to put cats off using areas for toilet purposes ? (something like "Pee-Off"). ?

Linda xx
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    Mahonia, an evergreen shrub with very sharp leaves (think holly leaves but larger) and bright yellow flowers in winter. Not low growing but you can prune hard to keep it in decent shape and stop it getting too high. I've got one against a 6 foot fence and under a lilac tree and it is thriving despite.

Bergenia ("Elephant ears"). Big fleshy leaves close to the ground with lovely pink flowers in spring. Good ground cover. They do better in sun but I've got one in semi shade and it's fine, just slower growing.

Have you tried those products in garden centres etc that are supposed to put cats off using areas for toilet purposes ? (something like "Pee-Off"). ?

Linda xx

Haven't tried it but thought a plant would be more lasting.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Corsican hellebore? It isn't as pretty as some other hellebores, but more vigorous.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    fruit bushes? not sure how much sun they need though
  • sobie
    sobie Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    Erics mum's suggestion of bergenia would be good

What about:
    Berberis Thunbergii (there are other berberis that will grow in shade too) that are thorny.
    Geranium macrorrhizum very tough ground covering plants and cats don't like the smell of them.
    Pulmonaria - hairy/ sharp leaves lovely spring flowers.
  • walkers-crisps_are_evil
    Options
    I would go with a mixture of evergreen Ferns and hostas. The cats will still be dumping there in all probability but you wont see them doing it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure