What can I claim

Options
Hi all - I am a recently widowed single parent - I have gone back to work full time in a new job - can anyone tell me if there are any benefits I can claim as I am not knowledgable on the subject (I seem to have started paying alot of tax and have a small pension from my late husband).

many thanks

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you need to provide more information.
    how many kids?
    what is your income?
    what benefits do you receive?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you checked to see if you are entitled to any bereavement benefits?

Google to find out more information.
  • aleisha2k5
    aleisha2k5 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    your best option is to go to the job centre or CAB but there are a few benefits you could ask about.

windowers pension,
    working tax credits,
    Child tax Credits,
    Child credit, (old family allowance) you should be getting that already anyway.
    Council tax Benefit,
    Housing Benefit if you renting,

heres a link you could try.
    www .gov.uk/ benefits-adviser

I cant post links as im new but if you type into google benefit calculator the direct gov one should be at the top.
  • Horseunderwater
    Options
    There is no such thing as child credit or family allowance now. If you mean child benefit then it has been called that for at least as long as my daughter has been born and much much longer as well. I last heard those terms when I worked in the Revenue back in the days of the early 80's and even then my Mum only got child benefit and that is over 30 years ago now. I well remember the brown booklet with the tear out pages inside and they were called Child benefit. The highest it ever got was £7.50/week and it was still that level when we had our daughter in 96!
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    aleisha2k5 wrote: »
    your best option is to go to the job centre or CAB but there are a few benefits you could ask about.

windowers pension,
    working tax credits,
    Child tax Credits,
    Child credit, (old family allowance) you should be getting that already anyway.
    Council tax Benefit,
    Housing Benefit if you renting,

heres a link you could try.
    www .gov.uk/ benefits-adviser

I cant post links as im new but if you type into google benefit calculator the direct gov one should be at the top.

Even if you meant widow's pension, there's no such thing any more. However, there is a Widowed Parent's Allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/widowed-parents-allowance/overview
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport