Tiles for hearth

Options
Anyone recommend a good company for hearth tiles. Would like ones with round edges for the outside and corners of hearth.

Thanks

Comments

• muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    B&Q quarry tiles :)
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • modelreject
    modelreject Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I will check those out but I was really looking for dedicated fireplace tiles. Will any tile do. I may be putting a stove in later in year.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quarry tiles are very hard wearing and strong, you might also want to look for a sheet of slate and get it cut to size - that's what I have in my fire place :)
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We put granite tiles on ours, looks good too.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Whe you say rounded edges, do you mean bullnosed or something like this?

http://www.fireplace-tiles.com/tileparts/victorian-kerb-corner-tile

The issue you may have with some glazed hearth tiles is that , if you are having a solid fuel appliance installed, then some of the colours will bleed with the combination of soot and moisture. The colours worst are victorian grren, cobalt blue and teapot brown.

If you are having solid fuel, I would suggest taking Muckybutt's advice for slate or quarry tiles, they don't get damaged as much.

If the link I have shown, is the type of product you want, then I would seriously suggest going to a fireplace retailer in your area, as these tiles are a nightmare to install. All the retailers have someone to make up complete slabbed hearths, as they will last and have no chance of working loose.
  • modelreject
    Options
    Sorry. I meant rounded as in more rounded edges for the ends if the hearth. See the green ones here...http://www.vicfires.com/31_hearth/hearth_tiles.html

In the first link I posted in the previous post it states that they are...
    "Although commonly described as quarry tiles these tiles are in fact classed as Porcelain."

I am assuming these would be good?
  • rustyboy21
    edited 31 March 2013 at 3:27AM
    Options
    Sorry. I meant rounded as in more rounded edges for the ends if the hearth. See the green ones here...http://www.vicfires.com/31_hearth/hearth_tiles.html

In the first link I posted in the previous post it states that they are...
    "Although commonly described as quarry tiles these tiles are in fact classed as Porcelain."

I am assuming these would be good?

The green tiles are the worst TBH with solid fuel. The soot and any moisture, turns acidic and will mark the tiles ( remember when you were in school and you put dyes into water/oil mix and then put a piece of paper on the top and you got the star shaped splodges on the paper? Like this ) The green will turn blue in splodges. Blue tiles turn brown spodges

The black tiles would be the best for solid fuel, teapot brown next , cream will scratch badly.

Remember , you will need

2 x REX tiles
    they are 6'' tiles so work out how many you will need accross the hearth. a 18'' x 54 '' hearth will need 11 RE tiles and 14 normal tiles
    1 whole tile to cut to use as the 2 vertical parts of the height of the hearth, on top of the normal tiles for the flat surface.

The tiles from 20 century are good ones, why don't you ask them for a price for a slabbed hearth? They are a good company, I used to sell their art deco fireplaces. They are stunning.

Don't use normal ceramic tiles from B&Q/Wickes etc. They won't hold up to the wear and tear of a hearth.
  • modelreject
    edited 31 March 2013 at 10:26PM
    Options
    Thanks. Just looked at the site to see what RE and REX were. Understand now. I will do measurements and contact 20 century.

Could you send me a link to the exact black tiles tget would've suitable? Are the black quarry tiles glazed? I think I would prefer unglazed.
  • rustyboy21
    Options
    Link is as below.

http://www.c20fireplaces.co.uk/parts/black-quarry-tile-146mm-x-146mm

They are glazed, but it more of a silky finish , not high gloss like the other ones.

I worked out an 18'' x 54'' hearth for you, with you doing your own, and them supplying it. DIY comes to £87.50 plus post, supplied slabbed up and done for you would work out £140, which is a good price. They will be good quality and it really is better to get them slabbed up. If you don't know what that is, it is where the tiles are laid out, upside down in a jig, then concrete is poured into the jig and will set the tiles hard, so no chance of lifting and less chance of pressure knocks by things like logs droping and breaking them.

Take into account, if you are fitting a stove, into the flue, you will need a T shaped hearth, or also known as a tongued hearth. The tongue will fit into the the chamber and allow you a seamless look and a good sturdy site for the stove to be installed. This will mean ou may have to knock out the chamber now, instead of later. 20th century call this a kick hearth ( for some reason ) see link below, to work out your hearth size

http://www.c20fireplaces.co.uk/hearths/square-plain-glazed-tiled-fireplace-hearths

Speak to your supplier about your needs.

BTW, most of this type of tile are made by Johnsons.

Hope above helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport